• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tweed overcoat

Jay Gatsby

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
873
Reaction score
3
I have a tweed overcoat that is a bit rough looking. Rough looking as in tweed, not as in worn. What sorts of things might I wear the coat with? What should I avoid wearing it with? Not going to post pics.
 

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2010
Messages
4,642
Reaction score
318
Anything you would otherwise wear an overcoat with.
 

HPress

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2010
Messages
181
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
I have a tweed overcoat that is a bit rough looking. Rough looking as in tweed, not as in worn. What sorts of things might I wear the coat with? What should I avoid wearing it with? Not going to post pics.

A thong? Oh, never mind. You're not going to post pics.
 

shiftless_bum

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2009
Messages
125
Reaction score
0
I wear my tweed greatcoat with pretty much everything in the winter. If I'm actually thinking wardrobe rather than keeping warm, I wear stuff that complements the texture and tone: winter weight wool pants in natural colours, sweaters, sweater vests, hugewool scarfs, tweed cap etc. For me, the biggest dissonance is with very fine woven fabrics. Coarser is better.
 

Jay Gatsby

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
873
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by shiftless_bum
I wear my tweed greatcoat with pretty much everything in the winter. If I'm actually thinking wardrobe rather than keeping warm, I wear stuff that complements the texture and tone: winter weight wool pants in natural colours, sweaters, sweater vests, hugewool scarfs, tweed cap etc. For me, the biggest dissonance is with very fine woven fabrics. Coarser is better.

Thanks. Should I be careful not to mix other tweed textures or colors with my overcoat? Or is that alright?
 

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
10,051
Reaction score
312
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
Thanks. Should I be careful not to mix other tweed textures or colors with my overcoat? Or is that alright?
I'll wear up to three tweeds ... but they must coordinate.
Coat, Overcoat, Hat ... each different.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 16 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 75 16.6%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 149 33.0%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 75 16.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 37 8.2%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 26 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 16 3.5%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.9%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 27 6.0%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,542
Messages
9,200,082
Members
193,183
Latest member
MarlonMahmoud

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top