• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

tweed odd jacket or top coat

brescd01

Reaction score
I got the beautiful 823 NHTC pattern, dress tweed weight at 14 oz. I am thinking of making it into a 3 roll 2 jacket. Could it be made into a topcoat or is this a bad idea? Maybe with quilted or ventile lining?

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tweed topcoats are nice if the detailing is rustic, for instance raglan shoulders. I don't think I would do one with regular set-in sleeves.

But you need much more length for a coat than for a jacket. If you bought the cloth with a jacket in mind, chances are you don't have enough.

A 3/4 coat is a decent alternative.

brescd01

Reaction score
Thanks! Would you make a raglan coat with so light a tweed? Also, generally, what can said for coats whose warmth is evenly distributed between their outer cloth and lining? For instance, this tweed, with quilted lining (versus 21 oz tweed with bemberg)?

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brescd01
I got the beautiful 823 NHTC pattern, dress tweed weight at 14 oz. I am thinking of making it into a 3 roll 2 jacket. Could it be made into a topcoat or is this a bad idea? Maybe with quilted or ventile lining?

I have a short topcoat (2" above the knee) made from 16 oz. P&H tweed. Looks and wears great (I never wear this with a suit - more of a weekend casual item).

At the tailors recommendation, I had it lined in very heavy silk - thus making it fairly warm. Heavy silk should also be easier to source than a quilted lining.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's