• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweed in Scotland

habitue

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm going to Scotland this week. What would be a nice place to buy some Tweed clothes? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scotland is big.

Stay away from the ubiquitous Edinburgh Woollen Mills (they sell cheap Harris Tweed stuff -- I do like their ties sometimes though). There are a couple of nice shops on Edinburgh's Grassmarket (I take it you'll go there anyway).

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived in Scotland for four years and I have to say shopping in Scotland is not great. You would think in the home of tweed there would be a pretty good selection but almost everywhere you go all you will find is a lot of extremely cheap, crappy tourist aimed tweed and only slightly better low end Harris tweed jackets that are reasonably hardy but are incredibly rough and badly cut.

Honestly unless you are lucky to stumble across one of the few good quality "locals" shops your best bet is to look for something in the smarter shops in Edinburgh or Glasgow, but they won't be a very genuine tweedy/scottish experience. You could try Ede and Ravenscroft, Pakeman Catto & Carter or Crombie, none are particularly Scottish but all will carry some tweed jackets, I am sure walking around edinburgh you will find other, similar shops. When I wanted a tweed jacket I ended up getting a Hackett one from Harvey Nichols (big department store) in Edinburgh.

If you give me an idea of where you will be and what you are looking to spend, and whether you want the think for wearing in the city or something more rugged for shooting in the country I might be able to ask some of the better dressed scots I know for a more specific recommendation.

Amiens

Reaction score
You would probably be better off going to Ross on Wye: http://www.tweed-jacket.com/ Tweed only comes from Scotland, the national dress of that country is, despite Sir Walter Scott's efforts, not the kilt but rather the shell suit.

Oleg

Reaction score
Have a swatch at Walker Slater on Victoria Street in Edinburgh (just off the Royal Mile, runs between Grassmarket and George IV Bridge). Maybe not top end enough for some, but slightly less fusty styling than some and nice people who've always looked after me well when I'm 'back hame' from Australia in the most beautiful city of them all. http://www.walkerslater.com/ If you're after the best pubs in town or a place to eat, send a pm.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oleg
Have a swatch at Walker Slater on Victoria Street in Edinburgh (just off the Royal Mile, runs between Grassmarket and George IV Bridge). Maybe not top end enough for some, but slightly less fusty styling than some and nice people who've always looked after me well when I'm 'back hame' from Australia in the most beautiful city of them all.
http://www.walkerslater.com/
If you're after the best pubs in town or a place to eat, send a pm.

That's one of the stores I had in mind, couldn't remember the name of the street! And upstairs from there (hard to explain, but you'll understand when you get there) is a great restaurant, The Grainstore. The other clothing store is on Grassmarket, right where Victoria St ends, on the opposite side. Can't remember the name -- minimalist and modern decor, mtm service, high prices, interesting stuff.

Oleg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
That's one of the stores I had in mind, couldn't remember the name of the street! And upstairs from there (hard to explain, but you'll understand when you get there) is a great restaurant, The Grainstore. The other clothing store is on Grassmarket, right where Victoria St ends, on the opposite side. Can't remember the name -- minimalist and modern decor, mtm service, high prices, interesting stuff.
As you can see, I had my wedding reception in The Grainstore!
smile.gif
weddinggrainstore.jpg
Another place that has always looked after me well when I'm in town. Great venison. Iain Mellis's cheese shop downstairs from it is also worth highlighting for those who like that sort of thing. And there's Royal Mile Whiskies as well. I know the other one though I can't remember the name. But it's not really a place for tweed, is it? Harvey Nichols has some ok clothes too but, again, it's not a place I'd go for tweed etc. If you're after tweed with a slightly more modern cut then Walker Slater's definitely the place I'd head for. Decent selection of C&Js last time I was there at Easter as well.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with all the other posters' comments about the paucity of well-tailored OTR tweed in Scotland. I suspect the best-dressed tweed-wearing Scots probably have bespoke tailors make things up for them. All the usual suspects have been named: Ede & Ravenscroft in Edinburgh, Walker Slater in Edinburgh, Crombie, Harvey Nichols... I'd also try House of Bruar (http://www.houseofbruar.com/), which can be found just a few miles north of Pitlochry on the A9. It's a nice shopping experience, and you could stop by at Pitlochry on your way up and perhaps make a trip to Aviemore for outdoor pursuits. Nice thing about House of Bruar is they also have a very nice selection of cashmere, angora, etc. Happy hunting!

habitue

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips! I will be at Edinburgh but also at the Outer Hebrides and would think there are some nice tweed shops? I was thinking more of OTR than MTM.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's shop in Edinburgh with traditional tailored clothing including bespoke:

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members