1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tweed Cap - Under $100

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Englandmj7, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Well-Known Member

Hello Gents,

I have been looking for a newsboy cap (I think that is what the style is called?), preferably brown tweed or herringbone, and have done an immense amount of searching online. The problem I have is that I have a huge head and many newsboy caps are bulky, making my head look even bigger. Do any of you know of a brand that makes a nice slender cap without the garbage metal snap on the brim, and for under $100. Any good places to look online? Brands to look for? Chain stores that may carry them? I would love to be able to try some on in person but don't know anywhere in the Bay Area where I could. Your help is much appreciated!!! This is similar to what I would like:

[​IMG]

But even this is tad bit too "bulky" for me.

[​IMG]

2. Earthmover

Earthmover Well-Known Member

I got a very nice tweed cap from Sierratradingpost last winter. I don't see anything like that in stock, but they will most likely get a nice stock of winter caps in the upcoming months. If you're not time-sensitive, it's worth checking in once in a while. Only for reference, here is the cap I got in color 73, which is regular tweed; it is out of stock. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Pro...x?baseno=56417

3. trogdor

trogdor Well-Known Member

4. Tyto

Tyto Well-Known Member

Miller Hats has a nice tweed cap selection here. They also have regular wool and cotton caps.

I ordered some caps made by Magee of Donegal from another hatter (edit: paid about $35 each for those), but I can't remember the name: I'll find it and post later.

5. paper clip

paper clip Well-Known Member

I bought a nice one from Land's End - a Harris Tweed without any hardware.

They don't have any yet, but will come fall - about $45 or so, regular price.

You can order and if it doesn't fit - return it to Sears.

Good luck.

6. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

7. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the great recommendations gents!

I really like the Sierra Trading Post one that Earthmover posted but alas, as he mentioned, it is out of stock.

Trogdor - I live in Silicon Valley, near San Francisco, CA.

[​IMG]

8. cpac

cpac Well-Known Member

jjhatcenter.com

Call them if you have questions or concerns - the people in the store (NYC) are extremely knowledgable and nice. I have a large head and received a newsboy cap from there just this past christmas. It was a slimming style that worked well. It looked closest to the JJ Ivy, but was a bit thinner and I think made by Borsalino.

9. Quirk

Quirk Well-Known Member

10. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member