• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TV Show Recommendation?

Brian SD

Reaction score
I've found myself with a bit more free time than usual and I've put a few of my pastimes to bed, so I'm hoping to find a good TV show to spend some time getting into.

I loved the Wire, I'm a big fan of zany but intelligent comedy (like Arrested Development), and I'm generally averse to prime-time style shows that follow overly formulaic episode formats, for example Burn Notice (which I like somewhat, just don't have the patience for the same thing every episode with only minor plot advancements).

So please, if anyone wouldn't mind throwing some recs my way, I'd love it. I don't have normal TV here, and so I obviously don't see advertisements or hear from people around the water-cooler since my co-workers tend to watch only horrid Japanese variety shows.

PITAronin

Reaction score
You may want to track down DVDs of the BBC series MI-5 (9 seasons' worth of espionage where - unlike a lot of US shows such as 24 - the 'lead' characters often wind up getting killed.) Though (unfortunately) the first episode of the first season is slow and not too great, it picks up quickly and has, for me, the benefit that a lot of the writing is good and deals with some pretty provocative stuff (torture of prisoners, the toll taken on the emotional lives of those who 'stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm' etc..)

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Modern family has caught my interest lately...but Curb your Enthusiasm is great...so is the office, 30 rock, american dad, and family guy.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Shield gets a bad rap in certain circles as The Wire's dumb cousin, but I think it's worth watching.

Navi

Reaction score
"life" is an amazing cop show with a twist, awesome plot advancement with great storylines. Really really great, very under rated. It's all on Hulu, check it out!

"After doing time for a murder he didn't commit, a police detective returns to the force
with a new lease on life."

Maybe Psych? If you havent seen it I highly recommend it as well... Hilarious.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Breaking Bad
30 Rock
Community

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OP isn't clear -- are you looking for shows that are still airing or do you have Netflix?

The Unit (executive produced by Shield creator Shawn Ryan) is excellent. It was canceled two years ago, but old episodes are running frequently in syndication.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
I'd recommend (in this order):

Battlestar Galactica
Spartacus: Blood & Sand
Lost
Breaking Bad
The Walking Dead
Zen
The Killing

comedies:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Bored to Death
Eastbound and Down
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Archer
Black Books

Gene Parmesan

Reaction score
BREAKING BAD

You like The Wire, you like good dramas, so you'll like BB.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Nice, thank guys. As I expected I'm unfamiliar with 90% of these names.

Breaking Bad is amazing I forgot to mention that I've seen a few of that one. Should really keep going.

I have seen one episode of Community, where they play a game of Dungeons and Dragons. Was pretty fuckin funny

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads