TV Newsmen Who Can't Dress Themselves:

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrDaniels, Apr 4, 2006.

1. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

So,

I have been taking note of news anchor Rick Folbaum (apparantly formerly on FoxNews) on New York's Fox 5 6pm newscast. Specifically, his complete ignorance on how to button a suit coat, particularily when one is being broadcast to millions of households in America's largest television market (which includes America's fashion center). As you will see from the attched picture files, he almost exclusively wears three-button suits and has the nasty and annoying habit of constantly buttoning the bottom button. Now this looks downright dorky when he is standing, but then he actually SITS with the coat buttoned all the way to the bottom and you can see how this makes the front of his coat buckle and bubble.

These pictures could be used in a textbook to demonstrate why NOT to button the bottom button EVER. How is it that a man can work in an industry where apprearance is so vital and never learn this? I cannot believe that the station does not have a style consultant that might catch this, or at least you would think this jackasses' tailor would watch his client on TV to see how his work was holding up and tell him to stop doing such horrible things to his suits!

What do you guys think? Once I get some good comments, I am going to forward the link to this topic to his station manager. Maybe we could do this to some other poorly-dressed men in the media...these guys are the only men in suits some people get to see on a regualr basis; they should be better role models dammit!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Why these stations don't have some sort of style consultant is beyond me. Maybe they do and they should all be fired. I'm constantly wanting to email them advice. So far I've restrained myself. [​IMG]

3. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Why these stations don't have some sort of style consultant is beyond me. Maybe they do and they should all be fired. I'm constantly wanting to email them advice. So far I've restrained myself. [​IMG]

Let's start a movement Alan! Maybe they dress them poorly as part of a plot devised by George Zimmer...he is notorious for advertising during the local news...he wants the anchormen to look as bad as the men in his ads...(Conspiracy Music plays)

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad Member

Appalling. You'd think his agent or handlers would work on that. I see this quite a bit too and am amazed how these guys get gigs.

5. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

People who appear on TV are sometimes told to button up their coats. Maybe he thought that meant the bottom, too.

6. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior member

part of the problem could be that alot of these people work their way up through the ranks - starting at small local markets and moving to mid and then major markets - and from what i undertstand they do not make great monet till they get to the major markets - and by that time they probably already have bad dress habits and are accustomed to shopping at the local department store (or worse) for their suits.

that being said you would think Fox would take the time out to make sure their flagship station anchors look the part...........

7. BrooklynMike

BrooklynMike Well-Known Member

We need more Larry Kudlow-types.

8. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Agreed. L. Kudlow, M. Lauer and A. Cooper are all well dressed.

9. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Agreed. L. Kudlow, M. Lauer and A. Cooper are all well dressed.

Lauer is above reproach. NBC should send their consultant to FOX.

10. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

Agreed, but keep in mind that Kudlow was a banker in his previous life, so he's had access to and the means to acquire fine clothing for some time.

Also, the guy shown in the original photos comes from Fox News, which sort of prides itself on being an everyman's sort of network.

11. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

You ever wonder if the suit manufacturers who dress these guys who don't know the basics on dressing appropriately might start to run a sheer thread through the opening of the bottom buttonhole so that one would still have the visual line of the bottom button, with none of the worry that some idiot would go around with it actually buttoned?

12. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Maybe he's fasteningthe bottom button to hide the tie (which would be a fit issue). The rest of his outfit looks fine.

In general, newscasters and TV commentators seem to be dressing better in recent years. High-definition television might have something to do with it.

13. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I don't know..the tie knot is pretty thick, so I would guess that it bottom of the tie isn't hanging too low. Still inexcusable in my book.

14. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I think you all are making way too big a deal of this...

15. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

I think you all are making way too big a deal of this...

I think you're probably right. I don't think the average news viewer really gives a crap about whether an anchor reporter buttons all of his jacket buttons, or if his jacket fits.

Plus, the suit manufacturers don't "dress" these anchors (to provide free clothing would violate ethics). They are generally responsible for their own wardrobe. It's only in the largest markets that they even get any sort of allowance for doing so.