1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TV-B-Gone

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Horace, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

2. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Distinguished Member

You're a pretty liberal guy, and I thought liberals are all for allowing people to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't endanger others. I'm understand how televisions and cellphones might annoy you, but they are certainly not placing anyone in harm's way. This sounds like a little bit of "Not in My Backyard" gone out of control; it's alright if others are inconvenienced, as long as it isn't you.

3. Horace

Well what you thought you thought about liberals is probably wrong. I don't know that cell-phones and televisions have much to do with politics (in fact I don't know that politics has much to do with politics), as much as they have to do with common courtesy and individual restraint.

As for "harms way", I say that televisions and cellphones certainly place people in the way of harm -- it's just that, unlike a car wreck or bullet to the chest, it's a slow death of the intellect and social ties.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

You're thinking of libertarians. We've had this discussion.

Guess I'll have to look at the link later.

5. Horace

(hopkins_student @ April 01 2005,05:22) You're a pretty liberal guy, and I thought liberals are all for allowing people to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't endanger others.
    You're thinking of libertarians. We've had this discussion. Guess I'll have to look at the link later.
    Thanks J, I didn't feel like pointing this out. Though I'd have to say that I agree with the libertarians on issues such as legalization of drugs and many of their stands on civil rights.

6. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Distinguished Member

And libertarians are fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Liberals tend to agree with libertarians on social issues.

7. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Liberals, libertarians, whatever, I want one of these. I am going to get one and walk into Best Buy and turn off all the TVs at once and watch people's horrified faces. It will be beautiful.

Edit: My Sony Clie has a remote control capability that provided hours of fun turning off and changing channels on TVs in bars. This is less obvious and less versatile, but much more nefarious.