• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedos in Houston

dmkhou

Reaction score
Help. I have hit up about every store in Uptown that I know of looking for a classical styled men's tuxedo for under $1000. The best I found was the Hugo Boss Cary Grant at Saks, but the fit wasn't quite right. Almost everything (except the italian stores, and high end tuxes) were notched lapel, with multiple pockets, etc, etc. I just want the single button, peak lapel, **** pockets, maybe a modern fit. Why is this so hard to find. Any help would be appreciated.

dmkhou

Reaction score
Thanks. I tried there and M Penner. Was priced out of both. Although they were very informative and sound like it would be fun to work with in the future. Same goes for the Italian stores in the Galleria. Also, I went to Dillard's and Macy's at Memorial today. The Dillard's guy literally started an argument with me saying that the notch lapel was the most traditional and then told me they didn't have peak and to leave. I was happy to oblige and will probably never shop at those department stores again. It's not that I am picky, but that I don't have a innate sense of style and need to know that I can rely on my salesperson (and maybe you guy? ;-) ) .

I ended up choosing to save some money this time, and went with the commonly seen Jos A Bank peak lapel with the grosgrain. I am also ordering these

http://hansensclothing.com/display.asp?id=2957

Then I can spend the money on shoes this time around and go back for a MTM 3 piece in a couple of years.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Suitsupply isn't in the Galleria, its in that new complex with Eddie Vs and Del Friscos at the south west corner of Kirby and Westheimer. Ask for Travis, he's an excellent salesman and very helpful.

If your budget is limited you could try Suitmart if you avoid the notches, and don't rule out Jos Bank and Men's Wearhouse, two brands usually meeting disdain on SF, and often not without good reason, but for a suit you may wear twice a year you might find something close to what you're looking for. Remember pocket flaps can be tucked in or removed, and vents can easily be closed.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Dillard's guy literally started an argument with me saying that the notch lapel was the most traditional and then told me they didn't have peak and to leave.  I was happy to oblige and will probably never shop at those department stores again. 

What a jackass. Write the company an email and never go back there again.

redrobot

Reaction score
dmkhou, Are you me? I went around those same stores yesterday in search of the exact same thing. Suitsupply did come the closest, but something was off about the size of the lapels and it's double vented. I too resigned myself to the JAB special, but they don't make the signature in a 36S! I'm now scouring the internet for something in the budget.

dmkhou

Reaction score
Thanks everybody. I just got back from Suitsupply. I liked the fit of jacket and the shirt. Didn't like that the shoes are a little uncomfortable (but they are essentially free with the tux) and the fact that it doesn't come with any kind of vest or cummerbund. Also, like RedRobot, the double vent kind of detracted from the style of the sleek fit of the suit. The lapels are a but wider, but I didn't mind since it is a grosgrain finish and didn't have the effect that I was afraid of, of making me look too thin.

On a side note. I have never considered myself difficult, and am not really that picky. I might be a little more picky right now, just because there are actual rules for this sort of thing. But at almost every store except for the real upscale ones (which is opposite from what I would expect) I got the feeling that the sales people were upset that I was making it difficult on them, even though I am simply asking for what I everybody considers to be the most timeless, basic look. There must be a large portion of the population these days that just goes and buys the first thing they try on. The suitsupply salesman was not too happy about the fact that I left without buying anything. Even though, I told him honestly, that it was likely I would be back.

I am between SuitSupply and JAB. And will likely pull the trigger on Fri. I am behind on so many other things from spending so much time on this this weekend!

Thanks again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads