• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo ?????????

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have asked this question before but do not remember how the responses went so here goes, again. I'm about to make a tuxedo, it will be either single breasted notch or peak lapel. Should I go with side vents or no vent.
My wife thinks no vent is the convention here but I feel that side vents are more my style. Responses please!

Best Regards,

Gary

P.S. Counting down the days to the finale of the "Best Of" in Boston and we had the lead for quite awhile. I need your votes! Please log on to www.cbs4boston.com/alist and cast your vote in Mens Fashion under Clothing and Custom Clothing. It would be truely appreciated. From the site you can also get a tour of the store. Thanks again!

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry Callen, I did not see your post on the very exact thing I needed guidance on. I've read all your replies and I think it is side vents for me.
Again, sorry all for the double post.

Best Regards,

Gary

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
I'm about to make a tuxedo, it will be either single breasted notch...
crazy.gif

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
I'm about to make a tuxedo, it will be either single breasted notch or peak lapel. Should I go with side vents or no vent.
Side or no vents is all a matter of choice. Side is a modern take, while the latter is more traditional.

But really, notched lapels for a tux?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Side or no vents is all a matter of choice. Side is a modern take, while the latter is more traditional.

But really, notched lapels for a tux?

Agreed, might as well make it out of grey flannel. ;-)

gefinzi

Reaction score
I prefer a one button peak lapel side-vented coat with pleated pants that have a relatively high rise.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gefinzi
I prefer a one button peak lapel side-vented coat with pleated pants that have a relatively high rise.

Single button, peak lapel is the traditional style. And don't forget...no cuffs on the trousers.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But remember, guys, we've seen pics posted from Apparel Arts magazine that clearly show notch-lapel tuxes from the 1930's. Certainly, then, they weren't unheard of.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads