Tuxedo

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by new obsession, Apr 3, 2006.

1. new obsession

new obsession Senior member

I know Tuxedos has been discussed at length, here and at the temporary home of SF (AAAC), but I have a more focused Tuxedo question.

I have at least 2/3 'black tie' occasions coming up this year. One very soon, end of April, and my old tux doesn't fit. I cannot really rent one, for various reasons, including that I hate rental tuxes. I am looking to buy.

I do not have the time for a custom, or MTM job, and would not want to lay out the price. My experience with clothes has been that my sizes vary so much from year to year that the "you will have it forever" logic does not work.

I am looking to buy, inexpensive, but I have trouble with off the rack - 46 coat, 36 waist. MTM (which is out) or separates are the way to go for me. (I have recently had luck with LS Mens for a suit, and will likely go back, Izzy carries some tuxes in stock, but woudl require a substantial pants re-cut, which which I have had bad luck in the past (side pockets almost behind me), rear pockets almost touching, bulges at side seams).

***POINT - Anyone know where I can get Tuxedo separates of passable quality? I know Jos A Bank carries them, but I am skeptical about quality at the $200 price point (although I have not seen them). Anyone know of any other options? Or have any direct experience with JAB and their "Tuxedo Separates"?

2. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Separates and quality don't usually get along well. You might look at Brooks Brothers.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I have a JAB tuxedo from a thrift store that may have once been separates. It is nothing special, fused, but definitely passable and if altered to fit you well, would look better than most rental tuxedos. Try to get grosgrain lapels (peak or shawl, obviously)/pant detail, because the satin looks a bit cheap (to my eye at least). I have the satin shawl jacket and though i never have an occasion where it is warranted, I have worn it a couple of times for fun and it's done its job.

4. Infinite42

Infinite42 Well-Known Member

I suppose my question is two-fold; first, when speaking of tuxedo separates, is it essential that the pieces come from the same manufacturer? Second, if not, how does one go about matching up tuxedo separates? I haven't yet worn one in my adult life but foresee the possibility this summer.

5. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Senior member

I suppose my question is two-fold; first, when speaking of tuxedo separates, is it essential that the pieces come from the same manufacturer? Second, if not, how does one go about matching up tuxedo separates? I haven't yet worn one in my adult life but foresee the possibility this summer.

When talking of tuxedos, separates [should] refer to sizing differences alone, ie. just the standard 6-inch drop.

I really think you need order them from the same manufacturer, you need/want the fabric, weave, etc, to be the same . . . .

Tuxedo events are pretty formal, so I am not sure, whether "matching separates up" is really a something to consider; they should be from the same manufacturer and of the same color . . . . .