Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tuxedo with cuffed pants

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by traditional AE, Nov 3, 2015.

1. traditional AE

traditional AE Active Member

I realize this is not recommended, but I have a fabulous Zegna tux from when I knew better. I have a gala to attend and would prefer to not have the pants rehemmed. How bad would it be if everything else was perfect?

Thanks in advance. Btw........I will not be the center of attention.

2. powerkicker

powerkicker Senior Member

I would not do it. Get the cuffs removed for $20.

3. traditional AE

ARGH.........I was hoping a few would chime in saying be a rebel. This tux is 15 years old but still gorgeous. I had it cuffed when I didn't know any better and frankly like the look. I also am pressed for time.

I guess good taste in formal is not negotiable[​IMG]

4. Andy57

Andy57 Distinguished Member

How pressed for time are you? It only takes a couple of days to get pants hemmed, even when removing cuffs. If you really have no alternative, then wear them as they are. But the right answer, which you know, is to get the cuffs removed.

5. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

Yeah, if you have time, remove the cuffs; if you don't have time, well, you gotta do what you gotta do, but afterwards, get them removed.

6. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior Member

Don't ever mess with the rules on formalwear. I've tried a couple of times, and looking back, I regret it.

So of course its not going to matter to anyone else if you show up with cuffs. But ironically, thanks to this forum thread, it will probably matter to you and you'll be unhappy. Make yourself not worry at all and get them fixed at some point - that should do enough to make you happy.

7. traditional AE

Thanks to everyone for the input. I do in fact know better- so ignorance would have been bliss! I don't want to fret about it so the pants go in tomorrow for hopefully a quick turnaround. Is anything available (pocket square, vest,etc) where some individuality can be added with appearing like a showboat or clown?

8. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

The aren't many rules in menswear that are inviolate but dinner suit trousers without turnups has to be up there.

Try a coloured silk pocket square in dark scarlet (see Dean Martin in 'Ocean's Eleven'), burgundy or royal blue for a subtle pop of colour to set you apart without making yourself 'that guy'. That's about as much pushing of the envelope that I do with black tie.

9. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior Member

I assume you are wearing a self-tie bow tie? That alone sets you apart from most men at black tie events.

10. Andy57

I second the idea of a colored pocket square, especially dark red. Another possibility is to use distinctive cufflinks. I usually use onyx or MOP studs, but my cufflinks are red enamel, usually. Pretty wild and crazy!

[​IMG]

11. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior Member

I don't see anything wrong with adding some color in the pocket square, lapel ornaments or a snazzy vest. They are all stuff you can also take off if you don't think it's working.

Personality is great, but the rules in formalwear are there not because they are inviolable, but because they really do look best.

12. 997CTSurg

997CTSurg Alpha-M

The sad reality is that probably no one at the event would have noticed.
    My last black tie event was pure comedy from what others were wearing.
    Atrocious was the baseline.

13. traditional AE

I am wearing a self tie, although it may take me 20 tries to get it right! :satisfied:

14. Andy57

All it takes is practice. I recently saw Bob Anderson's Sinatra: The Man, The Music show in Las Vegas. At one point, Anderson unties his bow tie for a couple of numbers. Then, he reties it, on stage, with no mirror, in the dark. And it looked exactly as it had before he untied it. I met him later that evening and asked him his secret. His reply was that he had tied a bow tie a couple times a day for decades. Practice!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015

15. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member