• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo with cuffed pants

traditional AE

Reaction score
I realize this is not recommended, but I have a fabulous Zegna tux from when I knew better. I have a gala to attend and would prefer to not have the pants rehemmed. How bad would it be if everything else was perfect?

Thanks in advance. Btw........I will not be the center of attention.

traditional AE

Reaction score
ARGH.........I was hoping a few would chime in saying be a rebel. This tux is 15 years old but still gorgeous. I had it cuffed when I didn't know any better and frankly like the look. I also am pressed for time.

I guess good taste in formal is not negotiable
1f616.png

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How pressed for time are you? It only takes a couple of days to get pants hemmed, even when removing cuffs. If you really have no alternative, then wear them as they are. But the right answer, which you know, is to get the cuffs removed.

TOstyle

Reaction score
Don't ever mess with the rules on formalwear. I've tried a couple of times, and looking back, I regret it.

So of course its not going to matter to anyone else if you show up with cuffs. But ironically, thanks to this forum thread, it will probably matter to you and you'll be unhappy. Make yourself not worry at all and get them fixed at some point - that should do enough to make you happy.

traditional AE

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the input. I do in fact know better- so ignorance would have been bliss! I don't want to fret about it so the pants go in tomorrow for hopefully a quick turnaround. Is anything available (pocket square, vest,etc) where some individuality can be added with appearing like a showboat or clown?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The aren't many rules in menswear that are inviolate but dinner suit trousers without turnups has to be up there.

Try a coloured silk pocket square in dark scarlet (see Dean Martin in 'Ocean's Eleven'), burgundy or royal blue for a subtle pop of colour to set you apart without making yourself 'that guy'. That's about as much pushing of the envelope that I do with black tie.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume you are wearing a self-tie bow tie? That alone sets you apart from most men at black tie events.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the idea of a colored pocket square, especially dark red. Another possibility is to use distinctive cufflinks. I usually use onyx or MOP studs, but my cufflinks are red enamel, usually. Pretty wild and crazy!

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

TOstyle

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with adding some color in the pocket square, lapel ornaments or a snazzy vest. They are all stuff you can also take off if you don't think it's working.

Personality is great, but the rules in formalwear are there not because they are inviolable, but because they really do look best.

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score
The sad reality is that probably no one at the event would have noticed.
My last black tie event was pure comedy from what others were wearing.
Atrocious was the baseline.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am wearing a self tie, although it may take me 20 tries to get it right!
satisfied.gif

All it takes is practice. I recently saw Bob Anderson's Sinatra: The Man, The Music show in Las Vegas. At one point, Anderson unties his bow tie for a couple of numbers. Then, he reties it, on stage, with no mirror, in the dark. And it looked exactly as it had before he untied it. I met him later that evening and asked him his secret. His reply was that he had tied a bow tie a couple times a day for decades. Practice!

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Its really not that hard to tie a perfect bow tie. I occasionally wear bow ties, don't even have that much practice but I can tie it perfectly every time, no mirror required. Really just sit down and slowly do it, then repeat, it becomes muscle memory - especially if you don't have to worry about length, which you shouldn't after tie a bow tie for the first time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads