• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tuxedo Studs on Non-formal Shirt

kjamesuvic

Reaction score
Hey Gents,

I'm getting married next summer and want to know if it is possible to use tuxedo studs on a regular shirt? I'm trying to forgo buying a shirt for the tux when I already have an acceptable crisp white shirt. Is plausible to cut off the buttons and use studs in their place? Or are there any studs that can attach to the top of the button?

Appreciate the suggestions

HughJ

Reaction score
How would you get the studs through the other side of the shirt?

Last edited:

HughJ

Reaction score
I'm not sure how unfinished stud holes would hold up, but even this is ignoring the fact that the shirt wouldn't have the texture of a tuxedo shirt.

Several forum sponsors carry affordable versions of these shirts (Kent Wang, Luxire at a glance). I know all too well how much weddings cost, but a shirt is a drop in the bucket.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

You've got the studs, apparently, you have or are going to get a Tux. Get a formal shirt, for goodness' sake. The plain fact of the matter is you can't use studs on a regular shirt. You just can't.

jedwards

Reaction score
Get a dress formal shirt as others have said.

If you're into proper menswear you would otherwise look back on your photos and think: WTF is that normal shirt with tux studs crudely shoved through looks like a hot mess.

Go the sales and get a cheaper one if budget is an issue. Surely one can be found in TK Maxx for 20 dollars or so?

If you're not into menswear, it doesn't really matter, and no one will really know or notice except you in any case.

Enjoy your day whatever you choose though.

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have two Thomas Pink marcella tuxedo shirts, one fly-fronted and one to take studs. I got them both BNWT off eBay for $45 each. Surely you have $45 in the budget and a bit of patience to make sure you look right on your big day?

TOstyle

Reaction score
A little off-topic, but maybe a good place to ask this - anyone know a good place to get shirt studs? I've looked on ebay, but got a lot of junk. Anyone have recommendations of good websites or ebay sellers more specifically?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.