1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tuxedo Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JLibourel, Mar 20, 2005.

1. summej2

summej2 Senior member

another bump.

what are thoughts on black, plain, velvet slippers? these would be for my wedding

[​IMG]

To your own wedding? I wouldn't.

2. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

The rule about wearing patent leather with black tie is one of the rules I break.

I agree that patent leather is the traditional choice.

However, for some reason, I just can't bring myself to wear patent leather shoes. To my eye, they look cheap (even the nice ones.)

With my black tie clothing, I wear plain-toe Bal Oxfords in black shell cordovan, shined to a very high sheen.

I like this idea, actually. I know shell is often considered a rustic leather, but in black, couldn't it be shined to come close to patent, without it being so...patenty?

3. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Traditionally, evening pumps were calf or patent, lace-up shoes (always plain-toe oxfords; a blucher is seriously not right for a formal shoe) were patent. You can indeed wear the pump with white tie. Some authorities consider it to be required, or at least prefered, because it is a vestige of court dress, and therefore the most formal shoe in a man's arsenel.

In no contemporary (1930s) source that I have or have seen have I found a mention of plain leather lace-up formal shoes. I know some people hate patent; I'm not saying my word is dispositive (see below), just reporting what I have found.

How traditional is patent leather? Isn't it a fairly modern material?

4. Bird's One View

Bird's One View Senior member

How traditional is patent leather? Isn't it a fairly modern material?

late 19th century. 1860s maybe? originally coated with linseed oil, now coated with plastic.

5. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

late 19th century. 1860s maybe? originally coated with linseed oil, now coated with plastic.

I didn't know about the linseed before, but I kinda figured it showed up in the very early 20th century and was kinda a novelty then. That level of bling seems to outshine the lapels, which as far as I've always assumed would be the highlight of the outfit.

6. cbird

cbird Senior member

On the John Lobb (St. James's) website, in the black and white catalogue from the 1930's, there is a picture of a "Tuxedo Slipper" which is a Norwegian slip-on. I once saw someone in London wearing shoes like these with a Tuxedo and thought it looked good, but have never come across mention of this option anywhere else. Any opinions?