Tuxedo Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JLibourel, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Badrabbit

Badrabbit Active Member

This is one of the rules I have consciously decided I will break. Since I very rarely have the opportunity to wear semi-formal dress (a tuxedo), I can't really justify buying patent leather shoes. So I bought a pair of black Grenson Stowe wholecut bals ($150 from www.shoeshop.com) with the intention of wearing them with suits and, highly polished, with a tuxedo (I _will_ make the sacrifice of buying silk laces to wear with a tuxedo). I would think a college student would also want footwear with maximum versatility. I would never wear bluchers, Gucci loafers (unless I wanted to make a "kiss my a$$" statement), shoes with any broguing, or a captoe with a tuxedo. As it is, my wholecuts are only marginally acceptable.

Pardon the break from the OP's question but where are those wholecut bals (I'm interested in some myself). When I go to the site you listed, it appears to just be an advertising site linking to other shoe sites.

2. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have a pair of calf-skin pumps.

4. thinman

thinman Senior member

Pardon the break from the OP's question but where are those wholecut bals (I'm interested in some myself). When I go to the site you listed, it appears to just be an advertising site linking to other shoe sites.
    My apologies, Badrabbit, the link is www.shoe-shop.com (original link is fixed). Then search for Grenson or Stowe. The Grenson Masterpiece shoes are listed for ~$548 now and include the Stowe (only in Cognac), Oundle, Rugby, Eton, Felstead, and Wellington ($575). I bought my Stowes in Fall 2005 during a short-lived sale. Since I've heard that Grenson no longer markets the Masterpiece line under its own name, the store simply may not have updated its website (though I hope I'm wrong and they truly are still available).

5. nom_de_guerre

nom_de_guerre Member

Think I'm going to try a pair of calf pumps.

The Grensons look nice. I have also seen a pair of Ferragamos (notte) which would propably do the trick. They seem hard to find these days.

6. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Thread revival alert!

I have a question for the hard-core tux traditionalists around here. It is often said, and said in fact in this very thread, that tuxedo shoes should be plain toe oxfords or pumps. If the rule against captoes is so strict, however, then why do companies like Crockett & Jones sell captoe patent leather oxfords?

http://www.plal.com/images/cj/2007-0...-34_edited.jpg

[​IMG]

Fire away!

7. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thread revival alert!

I have a question for the hard-core tux traditionalists around here. It is often said, and said in fact in this very thread, that tuxedo shoes should be plain toe oxfords or pumps. If the rule against captoes is so strict, however, then why do companies like Crockett & Jones sell captoe patent leather oxfords?

Fire away!

A stitched cap oxford is the original plain toe. Personally, I think it's more formal than a whole cut.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I can't help thinking how these patent leather Aldens on the right would look great with a tuxedo. [​IMG] Thanks to the exiled Horace for the idea.

9. overdog

overdog Senior member

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

part of the fun in going to a black tie event or a wedding or whatever, is getting to dress up and looking your spiffiest and a few accessories that you can add to bring out your individuality within tact and taste.

since my joy in clothing usually amounts only to footwear, i wouldnt be able to stand wearing generic patent shoes to be like the rest. i always wear a shoe that stands out within tact and taste.

how about something like this , a Vass Londoner in black, put a high polish to it and wear it to your next black tie event

[​IMG]

11. EL72

EL72 Senior member

A stitched cap oxford is the original plain toe. Personally, I think it's more formal than a whole cut.

Perhaps the wholecut is a special case where less does not mean more but I find the general rule applies to a plain toe bal that looks more formal than one with stitched toe cap.

[​IMG]

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I really like these pumps:

[​IMG]

13. nmoraitis

nmoraitis Senior member

Matt's rant in the button boot thread got me thinking that if most members on SF think button boots are cartoony (which I agree with), are not pumps just as cartoony? They also seem like footware from a bygone era.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I don't like a laceup with a tuxedo. It sort of reminds me of a long necktie with a tuxedo.

15. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Matt's rant in the button boot thread got me thinking that if most members on SF think button boots are cartoony (which I agree with), are not pumps just as cartoony? They also seem like footware from a bygone era.

+1