• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tuxedo shoes - Narrow

Seth C

Reaction score
Hi all -

I am looking to purchase a pair of tuxedo shoes. I know the most "technically" correct is a patent opera pump w/ satin bow, but am shying away from this due to their lack of popular use these days. I am leaning towards a patent leather bal, or alternatively a calfskin bal with high shine. However, I wear narrow shoes (13B in AE 5 last), and am struggling to find anything patent leather in a narrow size, which may result in going with something like the AE Carlyle if I can't find anything. Do any of you know where to locate a more traditional formal shoe in a wider range of sizes other than Medium or Wide?

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 9.5B and just use my black AE Park Aves for formal occasions. Sure it's not an opera pump or patent leather, but with a mirror shine on the toe cap, it's a perfectly acceptable alternative.

I honestly can't really stand patent leather anything anyway, although I may have been ruined/turned off to it by all those years we were forced to wear them with our service dress blues, before they changed the regs to allow for non-patent shoes. :hide:

Seth C

Reaction score
I'm a 9.5B and just use my black AE Park Aves for formal occasions. Sure it's not an opera pump or patent leather, but with a mirror shine on the toe cap, it's a perfectly acceptable alternative.

I honestly can't really stand patent leather anything anyway, although I may have been ruined/turned off to it by all those years we were forced to wear them with our service dress blues, before they changed the regs to allow for non-patent shoes. :hide:
Thanks for the message and I don't disagree; I've done this before. But I am getting married and will probably splurge on something a little more technically correct.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the wedding, and in that case I'm in for suggestions in case there are any. :)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.