• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo Shirt Style Opinions

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm starting my tuxedo ensemble for my wedding. As for the tuxedo itself, I'm deciding ***************, wide peak lapel tuxedo by either Tom Ford or Franco Ercole (while Tom Ford is more than I wanted to spend, it's ready made and fits well, and doesn't require a few trips to New York). Anyway, I'm turning my attention to tuxedo shirts and I'm not sure what route to go to match the fairly aggressive style I'm looking for. Let me know your thoughts.

Does it have too much of an empty space in the middle if you don't have studs?

Pleats, pique, or plain? If pleats, what size?

I'm not a big fan of french cuffs, but are they a must?

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tuppence, no pleats on the shirt. Pique or plain would be my preference. French cuffs are a must. How else are you going to show off your beautiful cuff links?

powerkicker

Reaction score
What is meant by "space in the middle if you don't have studs"? Are you looking at a concealed placket or?

I like a stiff, flat front. I think French cuffs with links that match your studs is a great look. I wear a ventless, peak lapel db as I described above. I like the look.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid that going with no studs leaves a large white area in the middle where you simply have shirt. I think I'll go with studs.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A fly front (Covered buttons)
is acceptable. this way you do not have to buy studs.

french cuff is standard
you could do , a button cuff with an interesting button.
meaning a gold edge shank button or smoke pearl shank button.
you do not ant a standard 4 hole white button.

if you opt for this style the shirt should have some sort of texture.
not plain white broadcloth.

Interesting swiss pleats look great and are in style..

swiss pleats are not your typical self pleated fabric.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an alternative to the french (double) cuff, you could consider a single cuff.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the single cuffs.

I also am preferring pleats to my Marcella bib formal shirt these days.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, I didn't realize there are single cuffs with links. I guess it has a slightly different look than double cuffs and has less bulk and weight from less material.

Astaroth

Reaction score
Interestingly, I didn't realize there are single cuffs with links. I guess it has a slightly different look than double cuffs and has less bulk and weight from less material.

Certainly a few years ago it was common for budget shirts ($10-15) to come with single cuffs with both a button and a button hole on one side of the cuff and a button hole on the other so in theory meaning you could either button it as a barrel cuff or use a link for a french cuff. The majority seemed to want to keep the flexibility and so on the verse side you'd see both the back of the cufflink and the now redundant button.

Can't say I've ever seen any higher end brands doing it but inevitably someone will decide to be quirky

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics