Tuxedo Separates...(or tuxedo questions...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jns425, Dec 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jns425

jns425 Well-Known Member

Searched the forum, but can't seem to find an answer...

First off - I meed a tuxedo for my wedding in October 2013. I wasn't planning on buying one this far in advance, but a few months back I found the one that fit me perfectly (at the time) so I bought it, thinking that I could get it taken it a bit if need be...

I've always been between a 34 and 36 waist, but my jacket is usually a 44. As you can obivously tell - this makes for an almost impossible off the rack suit purchase - which is why I bought the tux when I found it.

In retrospect it wasn't the best idea, as I was at a high weight for myself (and I couldn't make a purchase based upon expected weight loss) - but I loved the tuxedo. The 46 tuxedo fit me really well at the time (the waist would only need to come in a little bit.)

Anyway...i tried it on today, and it is basically swimming on me (as am I getting back down to my normal weight). I was able to find the measurments and 46 is 40.1 in waist. I can exchange it for a size smaller (44). I feel the 44 would likely fit me very well in the jacket, however the waist is 38.6 in. I feel uneasy that come time for the wedding (and maybe even right now) - these pants will be huge on me.

Long story short...I know separates are frowned upon (however this has been my only real option for suits, as I don't really want to spend a fortune on MTO), but are there any companies that might make tuxedo separates? OR, does anyone have any advice for me in this situation?

THANKS!

2. tgt465

tgt465 Senior member

You didn't specify a price range.

Brooks Brothers offers tuxedo separates which will set you back around $1000 or so. J. Crew has separates for around $800. Jos. A Bank has separates for $200. Most of the online tuxedo shops have separates, see http://www.blacktieguide.com/Buying/Buying_Retailers.htm

3. jns425

jns425 Well-Known Member

Sorry -- looking to spend a $1000 or less...

Thanks for the suggestions! Brooks Brothers seems to have some nices ones...the others look good too

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I mean, just have the pants taken in. It's not a big deal.

5. jns425

jns425 Well-Known Member

Taken in 4 inches? Seems like they would get butchered. And wont the legs look baggy?

6. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

You also want your tux trousers to be a little bigger in the waist than most suit trousers. You'll almost certainly need an undershirt (if you don't already wear them) because of the studs/thin material used for most tux shirts not to mention you'll have braces in there.