Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tuxedo Rules (Pocket Square, Cufflinks)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by origenesprit, May 6, 2009.

1. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

There was a thread about this before, but I wasn't satisfied with the replies.

When wearing a tuxedo, which is better - white linen pocket square, white silk pocket square, or none at all?

And also, what are the best cufflinks to wear with a tuxedo? (My tuxedo shirt is covered placket, so no studs to worry about matching). I have Dunhill sterling silver square cufflinks with black onyx squares inside of them, are these acceptable?

Thanks.

2. ysc

ysc Senior member

I really don't think it matters if your hanker chief is silk or linen, I do recall reading someone saying linen was better, I prefer silk for black tie. It probably depends on whether you want a tv fold or some sort of poofed up arangement.

Silver cuff links with onyx are eminently suitable as long as they are not too massive.

3. onix

onix Senior member

I prefer silk PS too. Regarding cufflinks, unless you're in a conservative settings where wearing onyx is ideal (either silver or gold is fine), I will choose to go wild a bit. For example, deep purple enamel

4. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

You dont have to wear a pocket square but if you do you want to wear a silk one since it is much more formal than a linen one. As far as the cuff links go stay away from any wild or novelty designs. Something in gold or silver that will closely match the studs and other accesories.

5. onix

onix Senior member

Something in gold or silver that will closely match the studs and other accesories.
    He said he will not have studs

6. origenesprit

Thanks for the quick responses.

I want to add one more question - what color socks do you wear with a midnight blue tux? Are there such things as midnight blue socks, or does navy suffice, or black?

7. furo

furo Senior member

From blacktieguide:

[​IMG]

8. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

You dont have to wear a pocket square but if you do you want to wear a silk one since it is much more formal than a linen one.

I think this is patently wrong, although I personally prefer silk. A folded white linen square is super-correct with a dinner jacket.

Again, if you're going to do silk, don't fold it and don't do white.

9. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

You dont have to wear a pocket square but if you do you want to wear a silk one since it is much more formal than a linen one. As far as the cuff links go stay away from any wild or novelty designs. Something in gold or silver that will closely match the studs and other accesories.

I'm sorry, but that is incorrect. Linen is more formal than silk.

10. ysc

ysc Senior member

Thanks for the quick responses.

I want to add one more question - what color socks do you wear with a midnight blue tux? Are there such things as midnight blue socks, or does navy suffice, or black?

I should think midnight blue or black silk socks, although when it comes to details like this, I don't bother too much, I just go with what I have got or what looks right.

11. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

A white linen square and a white silk square are equally fine for a wedding. If you want to be flashier, do a puff fold with a silk; more sedate, linen in a TV fold.

Onyx cuff links are very classic. I'm wearing a pair of those as a groomsman at my friend's wedding in June.

12. furo

furo Senior member

A white linen square and a white silk square are equally fine for a wedding. If you want to be flashier, do a puff fold with a silk; more sedate, linen in a TV fold.

Onyx cuff links are very classic. I'm wearing a pair of those as a groomsman at my friend's wedding in June.

I don't see the wedding being of relevance given the OP's question. Is there a difference between "wedding" tux apparel and "non-wedding" tux apparel?

13. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sorry, I thought I read wedding in there.

But, no, it won't matter. My statement applies to any occasion that calls for a tux.

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

15. origenesprit

Can a tuxedo shirt ever be a button cuff? I'm having a hard time finding a well priced hidden placket french cuff tux shirt that will fit me (I'm between a 34 and a 36 chest, and I like slim fitting shirts). But I've found some modern white shirts that have a hidden placket, but are button cuff.

Keep in mind this is for a prom and not for a gala or anything important. I just don't want to break any unbreakable rules.