• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo recommendation

sjohnston83

Reaction score
I already know there are a few threads about this but I was wondering what people recommendations for tux's in Los Angeles. I will be getting married next year and wanted to start looking. I am wanting to purchase rather than rent. Also the budget is around a grand. It will be a night wedding. So there is my brides desire for me to wear a tie vs me wanting a bow tie. I have noticed brook brothers, how is there quality? I would like something that is a little more modern but for the budget I do not know what is avaiable. Lastly I am a 40L, which is a tough size. I am 6'3 can I get away without a long on a tux?

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjohnston83
I already know there are a few threads about this but I was wondering what people recommendations for tux's in Los Angeles. I will be getting married next year and wanted to start looking. I am wanting to purchase rather than rent. Also the budget is around a grand. It will be a night wedding. So there is my brides desire for me to wear a tie vs me wanting a bow tie. I have noticed brook brothers, how is there quality? I would like something that is a little more modern but for the budget I do not know what is avaiable. Lastly I am a 40L, which is a tough size. I am 6'3 can I get away without a long on a tux?

BB will be right about that price and the quality will be fine - likely half canvassed. Make sure you get a dinner jacket with peak or shawl lapels, not notch lapels.

I would not buy a regular length at 6'3". No way no how.

I strongly believe you should wear a bow tie.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will be getting married next year and wanted to start looking.
Congrats!

So there is my brides desire for me to wear a tie vs me wanting a bow tie.
Your soon to be wife should have final say over just about every part of the wedding, as it's "her" day, EXCEPT what you wear. You're a man, you dress yourself. End of discussion.

I have noticed brook brothers, how is there quality?
:thumbsup:

Lastly I am a 40L, which is a tough size. I am 6'3 can I get away without a long on a tux?
Depends on the maker and your specific body measurements, but almost certainly not.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the Zegna outlet in Cabazon before you do anything else. Got a classic tux with all the correct details there for $1k (originally $2,500) and last time I walked in they had more of them. It was identical to the one in the store now but with flat front pants (current season's had pleats).

In that price range I think I'd also go with Z-Zegna over BB given your build. Price will be about the same and while BB may be a bit higher quality, I find the ZZ fits someone with a tall, thin build infinitely better.

As to the tie, give your bride the choice: either have a black tie wedding, in which case you'll wear a bow tie or go less formal, with suits, and you'll wear a long tie. It's your day too.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjohnston83
So there is my brides desire for me to wear a tie vs me wanting a bow tie.

You wear the trousers. You pick the tie.
fistbump.gif

tgt465

Reaction score
Recommend reading through the definitive Black Tie Guide:

http://www.blacktieguide.com/

The regular versus bow tie argument is discussed in some detail there. Other points of basic tuxedo etiquette are also described.

SaveMeJebus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VelvetGreen
You wear the trousers. You pick the tie.
fistbump.gif

Lets approach this from a different perspective...

SHE has the ******.

YOU want access to the ******.

Regular tie is therefore >>>>>> bow tie.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SaveMeJebus

SHE has the ******.

This is the woman he's marrying, not some slut he's trying to get into bed, I'm sure she's not going to deny him ever ********** with her again just because he had the balls to wear a bow-tie. If she would, then it would hardly sound like a healthy relationship.

sjohnston83

Reaction score
she is not denying sex, for my attire. Will definatly try Z-Zenga and see how they fit.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SaveMeJebus

SHE has the ******.

Soooooo beta.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I get more sex when I wear a bow tie.
I'd get more if I actually kept the phone numbers I get... bow ties rock!

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't overthink it. The Jos A Bank signature peak lapel tuxedo hits every single one of the SF/Blacktieguide approved points: One button, grosgrain lapels, no vent, no pocket flaps, single pleated pants without belt loops. Sure, it's made in Mexico and most surely fused, but nobody is going to know that, and it doesn't matter that much on a suit you'll wear maybe every couple of months, if that. They also sell matching grosgrain cummerbunds and self-tie bow ties. Spend the $650 you just saved on a nice BB suit.
wink.gif

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Don't overthink it. The Jos A Bank signature peak lapel tuxedo hits every single one of the SF/Blacktieguide approved points: One button, grosgrain lapels, no vent, no pocket flaps, single pleated pants without belt loops. Sure, it's made in Mexico and most surely fused, but nobody is going to know that, and it doesn't matter that much on a suit you'll wear maybe every couple of months, if that. They also sell matching grosgrain cummerbunds and self-tie bow ties.

Spend the $650 you just saved on a nice BB suit.
wink.gif

I was actually going to suggest precisely this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads