• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo questions

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I indicated in another thread, I recently picked up a tuxedo for cheap at a consignment shop. Â Brioni it ain't, but I think it will look much better than a rental and better than what 90% of guys out there are wearing. Â I have three questions that I was hoping to get some input on. 1. The tuxedo jacket has flap pockets. Â While not a sin on the level of notch lapels, it detracts a bit from the dressiness of the jacket. Â Can I and should I have a tailor remove the flaps, or should I be content with tucking the flaps into the pockets so that the pockets will resemble jetted pockets from a distance? 2. The lapel has no buttonhole. Â Should any tailor worth his salt be able to put an attractive buttonhole in, or should I leave the lapel alone? 3. I have neither the $$$ nor the desire to wear patent pumps with the tuxedo. I would much rather wear a pair of black lace-up oxfords (shined of course) that can get double duty as footwear with a suit. Â Is a whole-cut shoe dressy enough to wear, or should I get a pair of plain-toe or cap-toe balmorals? Thanks in advance.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tuck the pockets in. Remove them if you want to spend the money but only if you can first verify that you'll have jetted pockets remaining when the flap is removed.

Definitely have a 1 1/4" buttonhole cut in the lapel by your tailor, parallel to the peak in the lapel. Behind the lapel, and about 1" below the lowest point of the buttonhole, have a 1" length of silk thread sewn that will act as a keeper for the stem.

If you had the budget for pumps, plain black calf pumps are better looking than patent, in my opinion. Whole cut or stitched cap oxfords are very reasonable substitutes. Avoid bals, or anything with brogueing in general, medallion toes, and other forms of decoration.

Will

mano

Reaction score
Use duct tape to hold the flaps inside the pocket.

kidkim2

Reaction score
Ambulance Chaser--

There is no entirely adequate substitute for patent leather pumps with grosgrain bows.  Allen Edmonds makes, or used to make, a version that lasts forever.  IMHO, a first-rate investment.

But maybe you'll be wearing yours in environments where this kind of detail counts for little.  If so, get your hands on the plainest-toed black shoe you can find, in the highest grade black calfskin you can afford. (Better yet, "shell cordovan"--that is, horsehide--which takes the highest gloss). Then polish it to a lapidary sheen.  

And pray that the love of your life, whom you will meet for the first time at your next black tie event, isn't a stickler for detail.

Regards,

Mike

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ambulance Chaser--

There is no entirely adequate substitute for patent leather pumps with grosgrain bows.  Allen Edmonds makes, or used to make, a version that lasts forever.  IMHO, a first-rate investment.

But maybe you'll be wearing yours in environments where this kind of detail counts for little.  If so, get your hands on the plainest-toed black shoe you can find, in the highest grade black calfskin you can afford. (Better yet, "shell cordovan"--that is, horsehide--which takes the highest gloss).  Then polish it to a lapidary sheen.  

And pray that the love of your life, whom you will meet for the first time at your next black tie event, isn't a stickler for detail.

Regards,

Mike
Or pray that you don't meet any sort of person who frequents the styleforum, and the like.

rws

Reaction score
There is no entirely adequate substitute for patent leather pumps with grosgrain bows. . . .

But maybe you'll be wearing yours in environments where this kind of detail counts for little.  If so, get your hands on the plainest-toed black shoe you can find, in the highest grade black calfskin you can afford. (Better yet, "shell cordovan"--that is, horsehide--which takes the highest gloss).  Then polish it to a lapidary sheen.  

Whole-heartedly agree.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no entirely adequate substitute for patent leather pumps with grosgrain bows. Allen Edmonds makes, or used to make, a version that lasts forever. IMHO, a first-rate investment.

I seriously haven't seen these things worn except as a goof. Maybe I need to hang out with the royal family more often.

But maybe you'll be wearing yours in environments where this kind of detail counts for little.
Pretty much anywhere except on the set of an Ivory Merchant film.

If so, get your hands on the plainest-toed black shoe you can find, in the highest grade black calfskin you can afford. (Better yet, "shell cordovan"--that is, horsehide--which takes the highest gloss). Then polish it to a lapidary sheen.
Sounds like good advice.

If she cares, or even notices, that you are not wearing the correct grosgrain ribboned patent leather pumps, she is probably a really uptight *****. Back away slowly.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3. I have neither the $$$ nor the desire to wear patent pumps with the tuxedo. I would much rather wear a pair of black lace-up oxfords (shined of course) that can get double duty as footwear with a suit.  Is a whole-cut shoe dressy enough to wear, or should I get a pair of plain-toe or cap-toe balmorals?
I don't like patent pumps either. I wear plain toe bal oxfords in a very shiny shell cordovan.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Kai. I also think that broguing shouldn't be totally out of the question. So long as the accessories are plain black, a little design on the shoe like on the C & J Weymouths adds a dash of style, IMO. I dislike patent leather on a personal note, and objectively we must admit that any good calf leather shoe beats the plastic rental "patent leather" pieces of crap that rental stores give out.

mano

Reaction score
I also have a tux w/grosgrain and found a nice pair of "tuxedo shoes" on ebay in perfect condition and paid less than $20. Patent leather with grosgrain accents. They're made by Mezlan, but I also saw an auction for a pair of Bally's that were the exact same shoe. The Mezlans were made in Italy (all other Mezlans are Spanish) so I figured someone made them and they were rebranded by Mezlan and Bally. They're nice looking shoes. I'd be embarrassed to wear some of the tux shoes out there.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The published experts, Flusser, Roetzel, etc., are unanimous.

They place brogueing on shoes worn with dinner clothes in the same category as wearing a tie other than black.

It can be done.

You may find it attractive.

But the act is outside the pale, though not to the same extent as the powder blue jackets and ruffled shirts offered at wedding rental stores in the U.S.

Just as colored pocket squares, waistcoats and cummerbunds give you license to mix up your look without deviating from black ties (as someone said, "It does say black tie on the invitation, not red"), there are other shoe choices.

For example, Cleverley makes a very discreet unlined calf dress shoe with a lizard band, and velvet slippers work unless it's raining.

Will

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have misunderstand your use of "balmoral" LA Guy.

I know bals as full brogues, where the punches from the toe go straight back to the rear of the shoe instead of "winging" their way. But I believe that there is an American naming convention for shoes without brogueing.

If you're referring to shoes without punches, we are in violent agreement.

Will

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Will, As I understand it, balmoral and blucher refer to the particular style of shoe (shoe fiends, esp. A.Harris or RIDER, please wade in as necessary), and has nothing to do with broguing whatsoever. For example, the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue and Chester are both balmorals, while the AE Bradley and Lexington are bluchers. All these examples can be found at: http://www.tmbclothing.com/allen-edmonds-shoes.asp

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Balmoral is a general term for a closed laced shoe, but I think it can also refer to the wingtip Will describes. But we all know not to wear those.

Pumps with the grosgrain bow are one of the only classic clothing items I'm not comfortable wearing. I guess I'm just not man enough. I recommend a highly polished black shoe with closed lacing - no broguing etc. Something with a slim toe shape is much preferred.

While on the subject, I have a question about my tux shoes. They are a plain black Polo/C&J Handgrade oxford, with ribbon laces. They almost appear patent, but are "black boned calf". Anything special involved in the care of these shoes??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads