• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo Question

RandalWave

Reaction score
I am attending a black tie event in Hollywood at the end of February. It is an Academy Awards party. There will be over 200 celebrities in attendance with the red carpet and all of the bells and whistles.

I have been looking at tuxedos and I really do not know which style I should go with. All I know is I am not on a celebrities budget and am not sure what to wear.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I still have almost 2 months before the event, so time is running out.

I was thinking of going with a Ralph Lauren.
C1005-Ralph-Lauren-Starwood-Chalkstripe_s.jpg

or Calvin Klein
C1010-Calvin-Klein-Aston_s.jpg

I need help, there may be cooler more hip tuxedos that I am not aware of.

Tano

Reaction score
Black /Midnight Blue Colour
Single breasted ,single button ventless jacket
Waistcoat should be low-cut with only 3 or 4 buttons
Grosgrain or satin Peak Lapels
Pants with grosgrain stripe or braid and flat front or forward pleats
White Tux Shirt with double cuffs and a turn-down collar
Black Bowtie

Alex C

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
Black /Midnight Blue Colour
Single breasted ,single button ventless jacket
Waistcoat should be low-cut with only 3 or 4 buttons
Grosgrain or satin Peak Lapels
Pants with grosgrain stripe or braid and flat front or forward pleats
White Tux Shirt with double cuffs and a turn-down collar
Black Bowtie

Correct. Or, if you strive for detail:

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic...Definition.htm

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your budget exactly? Based on the pictures you're showing us, assuming the $300 range? Not a ton you can do in that area besides Jos. A Bank. While their stuff isn't great quality, at least they offer tuxedos with all the correct details.

If you want to step it up a bit, like the $800-1k range, many, many more options out there.

Also, to add to Tano's very apt list of proper features:

-Double vented is just as acceptable, even if not 100% traditional. Honestly, if everything else is right, wouldn't even fault someone for a single-vented getup.

-Doesn't matter if you go with satin or grosgrain, but the jacket and trouser facings should match

-Cummerbund is also acceptable as a waist covering.

-Peak lapel are most traditional but shawl collar and double breasted are equally correct. If you opt for DB, no waist covering required.

-Jacket shouldn't have pocket flaps and trousers shouldn't have belt loops. However, these are easily removed, so don't let that alone stop you from buying a tux you like.

-Bow tie should match the jacket facings.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what size tux do you need?

-LR

Alex C

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
What is your budget exactly? Based on the pictures you're showing us, assuming the $300 range? Not a ton you can do in that area besides Jos. A Bank. While their stuff isn't great quality, at least they offer tuxedos with all the correct details.

If you want to step it up a bit, like the $800-1k range, many, many more options out there.

Also, to add to Tano's very apt list of proper features:

-Double vented is just as acceptable, even if not 100% traditional. Honestly, if everything else is right, wouldn't even fault someone for a single-vented getup.

-Doesn't matter if you go with satin or grosgrain, but the jacket and trouser facings should match

-Cummerbund is also acceptable as a waist covering.

-Peak lapel are most traditional but shawl collar and double breasted are equally correct. If you opt for DB, no waist covering required.

-Jacket shouldn't have pocket flaps and trousers shouldn't have belt loops. However, these are easily removed, so don't let that alone stop you from buying a tux you like.

-Bow tie should match the jacket facings.

I'm on board with everything except the venting. Unvented or no go in my books. Vents are for riding horses, not for formal wear.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex C
I'm on board with everything except the venting. Unvented or no go in my books. Vents are for riding horses, not for formal wear.

Well, it was actually the single vent which was designed for horseback riding, not the double, and many nicer tuxes come with the double. If everything else were just so, I'd let venting go, personally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads