1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tuxedo Q

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PearlJamFan, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

No. Noooooooo. Whatever you do, don't do that. It is seriously cheeseball. Black only. There are other ways to cut loose a little bit.

By the way, are you sure he wasn't wearing tails? White tie properly belongs with the tailcoat.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a really wide (fat) bat wing that ties into a beautiful knot -- better than a butterfly. I agree about the narrow bat wing, though.

3. Jill

Jill Senior member

PearlJamFan ~ Stick with classic. Go back and look at Bond films through the years. With only a few exceptions (70s), he always looks strikingly handsome and cool in his classic formalwear. If this is a picture you don't want to be embarrassed to show your kids someday, avoid the ultra-trendy. Just ask my powder-blue-clad prom date. [​IMG] You're young. So if you want to throw in a bit of dash, do it with a pocket square or links, as someone else suggested. And DEFINITELY tie a real bowtie. It is truly no more difficult than tying your shoe. I personally like the look of a waistcoat (vest) better than a cummerbund, as you will invariably lose the coat as you boogie the night away. The waistcoat will keep you looking sharp with the jacket off. The more fitted garment will better show off your studly young physique. The cummerbund w/ shirtsleeves look has a tendency to get a little blousy/sloppy after a few hours. But whatever you decide, most of all, have fun.

4. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

There is another option. Once you get older and more serious and have more at stake (i.e. dinner dance at CEOs mansion etc,) you will hesitate to pull off something like this. Unless ofcourse you are the CEO. So my advice, go wild young man, damn convention at this youthful stage. -

5. Stu

Stu Senior member

Well, at least the orange-clad fellow is showing a good amount of cuff. The tux on the right I think I wore to MY prom back in 1983.

6. android

android Member

Richard Gere is wearing tails. (and properly as far as I can tell.) The competition dancers usually have to have them specially tailored so they look good with arms up.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Just make sure you have the most well-fitting tuxedo that exists for your size. There's nothing you can do to "jazz it up" with a tuxedo that won't make you look like a poon. This is coming from someone who dispises boring/traditional in almost every situation.

Opt for flat-front trousers if your ass can be accomodated by them, and go for a slim-fit jacket with a sharp sillhouette.

For prom, women have like 10000 options, you have one. You have to make sure it's just the best damn variation of that option you can find.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

If you really want to be different then a little jaunt to Jean-Paul Gaultier should be sufficent.

But that aside I say a double-breasted peak label in black since midnight blue is very difficult to come by anyways.

Perhaps I have a bias towards that stance.

Then a regular point collar snow white shirt with a hand-tied bow tie in black silk should be complete. Perhaps the kids will find the opera pumps reminiscent of the proverbial "pimp." Thus "cool."

9. Horace

Horace Senior member

You should stand out if you actually wear something proper and traditional.

10. Horace

Horace Senior member

Its lost would be most unfortunate. A sartorial crime really, to see a bunch of fools "boogie" about sans jackets. Leave it on, I say.

11. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

With it being such a young crowd the jackets will be on chairbacks... come now, these are kids going to a prom, not Nobel laureate's having dinner in Geneva nd they will dance to music that would shatter our old eardrums - a blessing if it happened early on. What else are 17 year olds going to do? Step out back to light their pipes and discuss the stock market?

If you'd like to stand out as a little cooler, little sharper and a little more suave than your contemporaries the best advice is this: Tie your own bowtie. No clippies, no pretied. Classic black tux, tie your own black tie and later in the evening when the jackets are in a pile with the clip-ons in the pockets yours can be unknotted and left casually around your neck.

Given what we saw at the movie theatre last night, high school kids losing the jacket to dance is the least of my worries.

12. Horace

Horace Senior member

Being 17 is no excuse. And no -- not step outside, smoke a pipe, and discuss the market, but step outside, after having spiked the punch bowel, light a cigarette, and discuss football, or girls.

13. ken

ken Senior member

Lots of schools don't even let you go outside of the building anymore at prom. Something to do w/terrorists, I think... or gay marriage.

14. Horace

Horace Senior member

Originally Posted by Horace,Mar. 19 2005,16:11
    Being 17 is no excuse. Â And no -- not step outside, smoke a pipe, and discuss the market, but step outside, after having spiked the punch bowel, light a cigarette, and discuss football, or girls.
    Lots of schools don't even let you go outside of the building anymore at prom. Something to do w/terrorists, I think... or gay marriage.
    Jesus, you gotta be kidding? edit: on the not letting you step outside anymore...

15. Jill

Jill Senior member

Yick, why would you want to encourage the fine youngsters to step outside and smoke. That is disgusting on so many levels, not the least of which is the smell on their clothes.

It's OK to have fun, hon.  Lighten up.

But that's just me... I could be wrong.