Tuxedo-Prom

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kpphy88, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Roy

Roy Senior member

Normally shoes like these are worn with tuxedo's: [​IMG] But I can imagine as it's your highschool prom most of your friends won't understand why you would be wearing them. As far as shirts go, I think as long as the shirts is pleated or has a pique front you're probably OK. Over here, normally we don't have any buttons showing on the front of the shirt. I don't know what your size is, but this is a pretty nice shirt and not very expensive: Borrelli Tuxedo Shirt on Virtualclotheshorse.com On www.virtualclotheshorse.com there are also bowties and vests for sale btw.

2. Fritz

Fritz Senior member

Silk knots are acceptable, if not ideal (just my opinion). Given your time constraints I would think it best if you concentrated on the essentials, ie suit and shirt.

Belts: you don't need any, you are going to wear braces/suspenders.

3. kpphy88

kpphy88 Member

I'm going to go get fitted tonight. Just a couple questions on some small details:

1) Bowtie- The rental outlet will most likely only have pre-tied ones. I've never worn a bowtie before, but I feel that pre-tied ties are silly. Would you guys recommend going out and buying a bow tie for this night if the rental outlet does not have untied ones?

2) Vest- Do the number of buttons matter? I'm confused as to what the difference between 5 and 6 button vests is.

3) Pocket square- white silk?

Thanks all.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

1) I would, in that you are almost certainly going to wear black tie more than once in your life, so it won't be a waste.

2) That refers to how many buttons close the front of the vest.  A traditional formal vest has a very low buttoning point, and an open front, and only three buttons -- or six if double-breasted, but still a low front, because they are arranged like a keystone:

Leaving aside "rules" and traditions &c. (things I am personally very fond of), I think a 5 or 6 button SB vest does not look good with black tie.  It covers the shirt front and studs, and it makes the ensemble look too much like a suit.

3) I prefer white linen.  But white silk is fine.  Or offwhite (very light cream)

5. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Scary...our new young member is cost conscientious
    Polite...
    and prioritizes studies over less important things.
    Good heavens...What is youth coming to nowadays... (or are you some sort of freak?) [​IMG] Welcome aboard. PS: You might want to cancel your subscription to GQ...

6. kpphy88

kpphy88 Member

To FIHTies: [​IMG] Thanks for the kind words. It really made my day [​IMG] . Btw, I don't have a subcription to GQ, I just read at the library (haha another frugal habit I have). I don't see the price of the magazine being justified by its content. But thanks again. To Manton: What is an SB vest? Also, do you think I would be able to find bow ties at Nordstrom?

7. kpphy88

kpphy88 Member

To FIHTies: [​IMG] Thanks for the kind words. It really made my day [​IMG] . Btw, I don't have a subcription to GQ, I just read at the library (haha another frugal habit I have). I don't see the price of the magazine being justified by its content. But thanks again. To Manton: What is an SB vest? Also, do you think I would be able to find bow ties at Nordstrom?

8. Roy

Roy Senior member

SB = Single Breasted

9. kpphy88

kpphy88 Member

Well, I went to AfterHours at the mall tonight with my Mom (I felt that i would receive better service that way). Although i had my heart set on a Peak lapel one or two button, my Mom and I agreed that the Tommy Hilfiger (Yes I know his stuff isn't that great) one button notch lapel tuxedo looked a lot better than the two button peak lapel I was considering (AfterHours house brand). And so, I chose that tuxedo, rented shoes w/ square toes (not much else of a description given, but its only one night), black vest, black bow tie and point collar. I also bought a silk white pocket square from Nordstrom. Now, I have one final (I hope) question.

1. Braces/Suspenders- I don't think the rental outlet will provide these. Are they necessary? The vest would be covering them up anyways.

10. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

They are necessary if you don't want to have to pull your pants up a thousand times during the night. Unfortunately I don't think I've ever seen a rental tux with buttons for braces.

11. kpphy88

kpphy88 Member

Oh that's not good. If this is true, no buttons for braces, that is, would a belt be acceptable? I mean it would be covered by the vest.

12. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Well, there aren't going to be belt loops either. You'll have side tabs for adjustment, but they may or may not be sufficient.

13. PHV

PHV Senior member

a cummerbund? Are you joking? He wants to spend the rest of the night in the back seat of his car, not in the bathroom stall getting his head shoved in a toilet.

14. policy

policy Active Member

Thank God someone else is a product of American Public Schools. Not even the band geeks at my school that formed a circle to sing/perform the Rocky Horror Picture show time travel song wore cummerbunds.

15. Matt

Matt [email protected]

hehehe.

good luck with the backseat thing kpphy. And im guessing from your handle, you were born in 1988. God, Im really getting old.

*shudder*