• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo Options - Time Sensitive

skyccord

Reaction score
All:

I have to get a Tuxedo ASAP and i'm really really not trying to spend more than I have to. In the past 12 months I've had one event where I had to wear one. I know have another two more events arriving within 6 months one next weekend and one in July. WIth that said its starting not to make sense to rent one if I can get one that's descent under $400. Right now Macy's is having all types of sales, I hear the groans already, but work with me here.

Here are some of the options that I've seen

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...yID=16499#fn=sp=1&spc=69&kws=tuxedo&slotId=16 - $274.99 - Tommy Hillfiger

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...yID=17788#fn=sp=1&spc=69&kws=tuxedo&slotId=24 - $329.99 - Lauren by Ralph Lauren

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...parate-tuxedo-shawl-collar-trim-fit&ID=580327 - $384.99 - Tommy Hillfiger Shawl

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...yID=17788#fn=sp=1&spc=69&kws=tuxedo&slotId=35 - $299.99 - Kenneth Cole

Anyone have any experiences with any of these or suggestions? I'm willing to buy all 4 see which one works the best and return the ones that don't. I just really need to get one and then get it to the tailor.

Lastly, I know there was a place in NYC that sold their own products but I can't remember the name or website of the company..Any clues? Thanks in advance.

Nine Miler

Reaction score
Probably not what you want to hear, but rent for now. Getting a tuxedo you will want to have in the long run can't be done super quickly. You can rent for a lower price than all of these, and then have some time to plan before your next event(s).

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rent for the event coming up next week, then begin looking for your perfect tux. You're going to want the perfect tux, ideal in every way. And once you have it, you'll live wearing every time. Settle for a compromise, and you'll be cheating yourself in the long run.

Go read www.blacktieguide.com

skyccord

Reaction score
Are you guys saying that the rental will be better than these options? I feel like the rental I had last time wasn't necessarily the best and I'm looking from the perspective that if I attend 3 events this year the price i would pay for one of these Tux's would still be cheaper than that cost. Am I looking at this all wrong? Plus factor in my previous rental. Just trying to figure out from a buying perspective what exactly do you guys think will make it take a long time to pick one?

I've actually read the blacktieguide in the past let me refresh my brain with it... Thanks.

Wayward

Reaction score

Probably not what you want to hear, but rent for now. Getting a tuxedo you will want to have in the long run can't be done super quickly. You can rent for a lower price than all of these, and then have some time to plan before your next event(s).

+1

If you have any intention of investing in a good quality tuxedo, I guarantee you will regret purchasing any of those listed, as soon as you have the luxury of time to browse. Tough it out, suck it up and rent one more time for the emergency, then plan out your hunt.

NYC, own products? Suitsupply?

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_CA/suits/smoking-black-plain/P1109AE.html

Paul Stuart?

http://www.paulstuart.com

Charles Tyrwhitt?

http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-suits?q=usddefault|||||||3837,||||||||

You'll have to be more specific than that.

skyccord

Reaction score
There is it. Suit Supply...is that a no go on their products?

Wayward

Reaction score
I just saw your reply, and am a little confused here. When do you plan on making your big purchase? I assumed you needed one next weekend, and will be making the big purchase before July. If not though, and you're thinking you'll be buying in 2015, then yeah, just do a straight up cost analysis. With that said, there's very little help to provide for your "temporary solution", so to say. Sorry.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much your rental will cost. But if you spend 400 plus tailoring costs for one of these and then decided in one or two years that it is still second rate, you'll have wasted much more money than if you'd only just rented for this upcoming event, and got yourself your perfect tux for all future events.

How old are you, what size are you, what are yu looking for in a tux?

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fwiw, I think the suitsupply tux is perfect. If I were you, I'd grab that one. Just my two cents.

I mean, it's a one-button jacket with peak lapels, satin buttons, jetted pockets and and no vents. Perfect.

Edit: not ventless. Double vented. Still perfect. :)

Last edited:

skyccord

Reaction score
Alright guys first off lets clarify, what do we think is a big purchase? I mean I have everything ranging from a J.Crew Ludlow suit which I paid $1k for down to a Polo Slim suit i bought for $60 at the RL outlet (coupons, coupons and more coupons) that was perfect OTR.

So I guess we need to all figure out what we deem as expensive. I'm really looking at a cost analysis and don't FEEL like spending more than $400-$500 right now but if I had to than it I guess I could. But like I said if I spend another $100-$150 to rent I'm now $200-$300 in on rentals including the last time I had to rent. So I'm trying to avoid that. If I buy a suit for $300-$400 and I spend $150 to tailor it, then that's a win/win in my book. Hell I might get away with not tailoring anything but the pants initially. I'm making that comparison because if I go rent a suit it's not tailored to my body and I hate when things don't fit me as I feel they should.

Sorry for the rant but I just want you guys to understand my thought process.

I'm 6'1" currently 170lbs. Somewhat of a gym rat so my weight fluctuates at times.

I'll post a pic up as soon as I can.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to look at it beyond just the cost. If you want to look and feel good, buy a tux you like for the long term. Like with anything, only you know what you can afford/ justify.

Suit Supply is a fine lower end option or if you are willing to look around you can find a deal on a high quality garment.

From a cost standpoint, your previous rental is a sunk cost and therefore irrelevant. If you can get a tux tailored before you need it next week, great, but I think we are all assuming that unlikely. Thus the recommendation to rent now and buy the "right" tux for July and beyond.

skyccord

Reaction score
Ok so in reality i'm asking the wrong question here. What brands carry what you guys would consider acceptable tuxedos?

And you are right, cbbuff, I do need to look and feel good which honestly doesn't necessarily hinder on a brand or cost of the piece. That's why I told you range in suits currently because I feel just as good at that $90 suit that I do in my $1000 J. Crew suit with Italian wool. Why? Because both of those babies fit me perfectly.

I think I'm going to take a gamble and buy a few of those Macy's suits, since they don't have them in the store, and if they fit fine then great otherwise I'll take them all back and no love lost. Or do you recommend that I go with the SuitSupply option? I'm in Jersey so I can drive to NYC in 30 minutes and actually do my work in the store this weekend.

I guess nobody actually told me who makes a good Tuxedo and what makes something good? I guess that interpretation is left to each individual.

Thanks guys. Any additional input is appreciated.

skyccord

Reaction score
Reading now....but all these features aren't mentioned in online descriptions. Sounds like I really will have to go look in person. The internet filled with information but not at the same time....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads