• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo Market

rkbedel

Reaction score
Good Day,

I am in the market for a new tuxedo. I have an old RLPL 6x2 that no longer fits and is no longer in style (at least for me). I have narrowed my search down to either a Zegna or Isaia black tuxedo. Which ever brand I do decide to wear I'm planning to have the item made-to-measure. In order to fully disclose to the forum my intentions of style and cut of each of the tuxedos I will give a brief rundown.

Isaia:
-satin label (notch or peak).
-working button and label holes.
-will request to have the jacket only 3/4 lined with very soft shoulders.
-will request to have the breast pocket slanted (boat style) to appear more like the Zegna model.
-will request to have a more slimmer model then the normal S-body from Isaia.
-of course dual vents (will request to have the vent cut longer then normal).
-pants will have a straight leg and will have a higher rise in crouch.

Zegna:
-satin peak label.
-working button and label holes.
-will request to have the jacket only 3/4 lined with very soft shoulders.
-will choose the Fit Mila model.
-of course dual vents (will request to have the vent cut longer then normal).
-pants will have a straight leg and will have a higher rise in crouch.
-ticket pocket.

Please note, I am aware of the fact that the Isaia tuxedo will run almost $1000 more then the Zegna and do not care. If you are haven't seen the newest Zegna Fit Mila tuxedo I recommend that you visit your nearest Zegna store or better yet...
http://store.zegna.com/ERMENEGILDO%2...d10/49118157CD

Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to any responses.

Ryan

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vents? I never heard of that in a tux.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If price is no issue, I would go Isaia. I love the feeling of their clothing and, otr, they items fit amazingly well for me.

I can imagine an Isaia MTM tuxedo would be very expensive. Have you thought about bespoke?

I own that Zegna tuxedo (thanks to Spoo!!) and it is beautiful.

Also, it is traditional to have no vents on a dinner jacket. You're entitled to your own choices, but it may be better to go the traditional route. I'd also definitely go for peak lapels.

mofftarkin

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I've been in the market for a tux as well. I searched some old threads here (and went to the much recommended Black Tie Guide) and I'm curious about your preference for vents and ticket pockets.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but those choices seem a little bit out of the norm for what I've read on tuxedos (and as I plan for my own, which will also be MTM). I think you run the risk of quickly putting yourself back in the situation you're in now with the RL tux you find "out of style" by choosing some of the options you've mentioned.

Or, maybe I'm just an old-fashioned kinda guy.

OyezDC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne
^^^^^^^^^^

+1

I wouldn't do vents or a ticket pocket on a tuxedo.

Nothing wrong with side vents -- you can always have them sewn up later if you don't like them. But you can't go from no vent to vents, from what I understand.

Agree that a ticket pocket is not a good choice -- it disrupts the clean lines of the dj.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're a 42L, correct? Are you able to wear Isaia? I'm taller too and they're slightly short with a higher button stance.

edit- just saw it's MTM, so I'm guessing they can accommodate your height.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ticket pocket on a tux? Are you serious? But of course you can do some innovation if it is not your first tux.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
like oyez sez. you can have the vents removed, but not the other way.
and ditch the ticket pocket. also no flaps just double piping.
consider wills idea for grosgrain faceings and trouser stripes.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yachting Man

Reaction score
Since both will be MTM, aside from a slight difference in fabrics, just pick based on what you want to spend. You can't go wrong with either one. If you won't be using it that much, save your money go with the Zegna.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads