• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo Jacket: Regular or Long?

feb112020

Reaction score
Hi friends. I'm picking up a tuxedo for some upcoming weddings. I'm 6ft and have a bit longer than standard arm length. Here I am trying on a size 44L jacket. The sales associated informed me that a 44R would be a better fit. It would fit better in the body and they can let out the arms a bit. In person, the 44L seemed a bit long, but it looks ok in photos. Curious what y'all think? It's unfortunate the photos don't include my legs.

IMG_0023.jpeg

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which one is which? Frankly I’m having a difficult time noticing any length difference.

feb112020

Reaction score
Which one is which? Frankly I’m having a difficult time noticing any length difference.

Good question! I should have clarified. Both of the jackets in the photos are 44L. They didn't have any 44R in stock, but are getting one sent in that I'll check out in a few days. Worst case if I think it's too short I can go with the 44L instead.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question! I should have clarified. Both of the jackets in the photos are 44L. They didn't have any 44R in stock, but are getting one sent in that I'll check out in a few days. Worst case if I think it's too short I can go with the 44L instead.

ah! Makes sense.

Personally, I think the 44L is fine. Unless the 44R is a different brand and perhaps cut differently, then I’d stick with what they have. I like the shawl lapel for a tuxedo. Good luck.

feb112020

Reaction score
ah! Makes sense.

Personally, I think the 44L is fine. Unless the 44R is a different brand and perhaps cut differently, then I’d stick with what they have. I like the shawl lapel for a tuxedo. Good luck.

Thanks! The 44R would be the exact same model (blue tux) actually. I thought the 44L was ok but they were adamant on the 44R being a better length for me. I guess we can compare them both once they are in.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 44L looks good to me.
another point—is this SuitSupply? If so, lengthening the sleeves on the 44R won’t look as good because of the working buttonholes. It can be done but the last buttonhole will be farther from the sleeve end than ideal. Lengthening from the shoulder is expensive and takes some expertise to do properly.
Also, the SuitSupply associates are trained to get people into tight and short suits, so I am not surprised that they’re urging you to go with 44R.

feb112020

Reaction score
The 44L looks good to me.
another point—is this SuitSupply? If so, lengthening the sleeves on the 44R won’t look as good because of the working buttonholes. It can be done but the last buttonhole will be farther from the sleeve end than ideal. Lengthening from the shoulder is expensive and takes some expertise to do properly.

Correct! This is SS. Hmm, I wonder if I should go back and go with the 44L instead? Could be a bit awkward with the sales associate.

DishenH

Reaction score
The sleeves on the shawl jackets looks a tad bit short.
Get the midnight blue tuxedo.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re the customer. It’s your money. Stand your ground! Or else order online?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct! This is SS. Hmm, I wonder if I should go back and go with the 44L instead? Could be a bit awkward with the sales associate.

be Mindful of what they mean by “better fit”. Look at the way the sales associate is dressed. Better fit to him means the outline of your nutsack needs to be on display.

Trust me (us); the 44L looks fine.

feb112020

Reaction score
You’re the customer. It’s your money. Stand your ground! Or else order online?

Do folks here seem confident the L is the right move? The R should arrive over the weekend or early next week in their store, so I could potentially compare them both in (if the L isn't sold).

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My suspicion is the 44L is the right call. As alluded to above, SuSu wants to fit you like your a wannabee instagram influencer with a suit that looks painted on and is too short to cover your seat.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just called to put the 44L on hold so I can compare both once the 44R comes in early next week.
Yes that’s a good strategy. The right length jacket should cover your rear and visually bisect your body. Also consider any sleeve alteration required given the working buttonholes. The SS people will insist that lengthening by 0.75” will be fine but I don’t that will look very good.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The typical difference between the length of an “L” vs. “R” is 2 inches. Again, typical and for RTW.

If this basic configuration holds true in this case, I cannot imagine how well that jacket would look if the hem were two inches higher. Not the mention the corresponding sleeve shortening. The sleeves on the long look borderline to begin with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads