• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo in late 20s- rent or buy?

shuuy

Reaction score
Hi everybody - hope to become a long time contributor here. Let me start with a question. I'm in my late 20s, in my first year of my MBA, and have to face renting or buying a tux for the rest of my life. At school over the next two years, there's 3 occasions where I must wear a tuxedo (I have a black suit for dress-up, but since everyone else is wearing a tux, I should as well)... However, there are likely 2-4 more reasons to wear one over school, not to mention 1-2 times a year for the rest of my life as a professional white collar dude. I'm not sure whether I should buy a tux or not, given that my fiance suggests that the trends are moving away from tuxedos (when was the last time Brad Pitt wore one? Bond in the last movie is more often in a suit than a tux). So, I think I need to rent one for Friday (one button, peak collar, flat front, no vents... I've been reading!). However, I'm not sure if I should bite the bullet and make the investment for something I won't wear that often. Furthermore, should I want to buy one, what should I be thinking about for price range, etc... (Jos Bank appears to have some nice wool tux's for $350). ... (As an aside, any good suggestions for a rental in Cambridge, MA?
smile.gif
) In terms of my personal style and size, Hugo Boss (sorry) tends to fit me the best (6'2, 185lbs, 40L, but 32 waist, wear 15.5 Long shirts (39 for those Euros))... Appreciate your help!

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as you are confident your weight will not vary- I would buy. Since you will need to wear a Tux it would be cheaper in the long run to pay for one upfront. Don't forget the unexpected occasions where you will need to wear one.

BostonRussell

Reaction score
Buy. Absolutely buy. The younger you buy the more use you will get out of it. you could purchase a lower line one for the rental cost of those three events alone, and look al ot better doing it.

Tuxedos will never be completely out of fashion. Black tie events still exist, and guys who show up in a suit look like fools.

Brad Pitt can be a well dressed guy but he's not a go to for trends. I haven't seen him in a tuxedo , but then again I haven't seen him at a black tie event either.

Buy a tuxedo. Look better than all your friends.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you're at B-school this should be easy. Perhaps you can turn it into a class project and get credit for it?

This is a pay now or pay later.

I don't even know what it costs to rent one. $75-100 per wearing, for a garment that can't be extensively altered to really fit well.

vs.

Joey Banks. $200 for a jacket and trousers and maybe $150 for shirt and accessories. This will get you started. You can add nice vintage studs, a pique or barathea vest, etc etc later. You wouldn't get that stuff with a rental anyway.

You could buy a jacket and trousers, and rent the bowtie, stud set, and cummer/vest for Friday (and eventually buy later). You'll also need a formal shirt, eventually.

And then its all up from there. Start off with one basic one and in a few years have multiple jackets and sets of accessories
bigstar[1].gif

shuuy

Reaction score
I am stupid impressed with the fast responses... Much better than doing coursework!

Okay, I'm sold - buy a tux.

Now the key question - can I spend $300 and look like I spent $1000?
smile.gif
Any recommended online retailers (Jos A. Bank appears to be good value to me).

I suppose I should check out Filene's Basement since I'm in Boston. Any other thoughts?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy one. If you can't do it before Friday, buy yourself a nice shirt and bow tie now and rent the rest. Check out Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren. I am not sure what they have but you could also look into Barney's, Louis Boston, or Drinkwaters in Cambridge depending on what you want to spend.

MrFab

Reaction score
I would buy the tuxedo, and even though some actors haven't been wearing to movie premieres a classic design (i.e. one or two button, peak or notch lapels) will never go out of style. As long as you take good care of it a tuxedo will last you a very very long time. Think of it like an investment and buy an upper market one that has high quality so it will last. On that note Jos Bank is a God awful quality. Bespoke & mtm imo are the best option, but that can be really expensive. A lot of the higher market brands have exellent quality too, which are significantly less expensive. Hope this helps!

okdc

Reaction score
I am in your same situation and bought for my wedding. Great decision, it has already paid off. I got mine from Wizard of Aahs and it was inexpensive and my tailor thought it fine quality. Also, Brad Pitt has been showing up in a several different Tom Ford tux's so don't trust your fiancee on this. Classic styling is making a comeback.

shuuy

Reaction score
You guys are awesome...

So let me rephrase. Where's the best place to buy for ~$500?

Jferg4350

Reaction score
If you are going to be wearing a tuxedo that often it makes fiscal sense to buy one for the long term.

BostonRussell

Reaction score
I'm bound to get flamed for this but Express is selling a tuxedo for about 500$. Modern cut and none of their graphic nonsense. Peak lapels. Sure the construction is subpar, but that's what happens in the 500$ range (my price range as well).

I'm going to start an E-petition to make TaT suits come into being.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Buy for sure. For one you look bet those all the rental shcmucks, and it will pay for itself afte 4 or 5 wearings. Lots of options in around $500, if you have time to look around.

athletics

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shuuy
You guys are awesome...

So let me rephrase. Where's the best place to buy for ~$500?

If you are picky or need it soon, go to Jos A Bank or get a good deal on something at Brooks Brothers. If time is on your side, search ebay or check Nieman Marcus last call and similar. I am a 40L also and I found it very hard to find a tux, I had mine made for my wedding and got some upgrades, but could of had it done for probably 600-700 from Coppley, not who I went with, but considered.

Since you have an 8 inch drop (40 chest - 32 waist), off the rank could pose a problem because most tuxes that come as a set are a 6 inch drop. You could have the pants taken in, but it will cost you a little in tailoring costs because they will have to do a lot of work on the pants. Let me know if you have specific questions since you and I are the same size.

tlmusic

Reaction score
The absolute cheapest way to go is to buy a used rental or vintage tuxedo. Seems like Boston metro area would have tons of thrift stores. Possibly there are Tuxedo rental places that will sell old tuxes. I bet this could be accomplished for $75-200. Then add a good shirt and tie. Cummerbunds are quite out of fashion, so you should be able to get one for next to nothing. I don't suggest a vest because might be trickier to do on the cheap and look good. Before you get grossed out by that idea, consider that when you rent, you are getting an ill-fitting garment that has been worn many times anyway--why not just buy the same thing real cheap and get it altered to fit you? Since you are an unusual size (close to me--tall and thin) you may have to mix and match pants and jacket, should you go the ultra-thrifty method. You can often get away with pants and jacket from two different tuxes if the color and texture of the fabric is close. Your other option is to buy timeless quality, and spend real $$$ now. The best companies for tuxedos I have found are Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren (especially Purple Label). Most of their designs are classy, and are likely not to go out of style, unlike most of the other stuff. If you could get a great deal on one of those brands, you would be doing really well. I am a professional musician, and have to wear black tie often. For years, I did the cheap route, and it worked for society parties and playing with symphony orchestra pops concerts. A few years ago, I broke down and got a "real" new tuxedo. It has turned out to be a wise purchase. It is a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Greenfield double breasted dinner suit. It cost about $900 (at 50% off) plus I put about $200 into fussy alterations from a bespoke tailor. I would wear it to meet the Queen (if the dress code was black tie, of course).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads