• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo alterationin suggestions / fit critique

standard40

Reaction score
I purchased this tuxedo online and plan to take it to a tailor for some adjustments. I am pretty much a rookie when it comes to suits so any advice is much appreciated. My thoughts are to have the arm length reduced and have the waist taken in (jacket has two vents - is this a problem?). I will also have the buttons replaced with satin finished ones and maybe have the jacket slightly shortened, though I am not sure on this last idea. Please excuse the somewhat poor pictures. Also, the pants are not hemmed currently.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say this tux seems a poor fit. Aside from the styling issue of the lapels which are not to my taste, the shoulders do not fit you and the collar is repelled by your neck in a major way. Also, not sure if the long tie is a part of your black tie plan, but you would do well to replace it with a black bowtie. Regarding vents, ventless is the classic style, but double vents are now common enough that no one would regard it as a faux pas.

standard40

Reaction score
I'm sorry to say this tux seems a poor fit. Aside from the styling issue of the lapels which are not to my taste, the shoulders do not fit you and the collar is repelled by your neck in a major way. Also, not sure if the long tie is a part of your black tie plan, but you would do well to replace it with a black bowtie. Regarding vents, ventless is the classic style, but double vents are now common enough that no one would regard it as a faux pas.

Thanks for the feedback. As far as style goes, this is what I prefer and its a completely subjective thing. I plan to wear a skinny black tie, not a bow-tie, but again, thats just my preference. Regarding the shoulders, I am a bit torn because every 38R I've tried is just too narrow in the shoulders and chest (I am a slim build, but I work out and have somewhat broad shoulders). 40R is always pretty close, maybe just a hair too big, and I think this is the case here. The real question is, can this jacket be tailored for an improved fit, or is it a non-starter?

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. As far as style goes, this is what I prefer and its a completely subjective thing. I plan to wear a skinny black tie, not a bow-tie, but again, thats just my preference. Regarding the shoulders, I am a bit torn because every 38R I've tried is just too narrow in the shoulders and chest (I am a slim build, but I work out and have somewhat broad shoulders). 40R is always pretty close, maybe just a hair too big, and I think this is the case here. The real question is, can this jacket be tailored for an improved fit, or is it a non-starter?
He pretty much told you its a bad fit. Tailoring, in this case, might amount to putting lipstick on a pig. You can probably return what you have and find something that fits better overall.

standard40

Reaction score
Wow, that bad huh? Do you recommend I get a different 40R (that will be just a bit large like this one) or a 38R that will be too small in the shoulders/chest?

joeman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have the waist taken in, peak lapels preferably, bow tie

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I might have exaggerated about the shoulders last night, they're not terrible I guess...the collar is really the more distressing part. It doesn't look like it could be easily fixed, but I'm not a tailor so I can't say for sure. Are you dead set on having notch lapels? If you're not going to wear a bowtie, at the very least get some different shoes.

standard40

Reaction score
I might have exaggerated about the shoulders last night, they're not terrible I guess...the collar is really the more distressing part. It doesn't look like it could be easily fixed, but I'm not a tailor so I can't say for sure. Are you dead set on having notch lapels? If you're not going to wear a bowtie, at the very least get some different shoes.
I'll consult a tailor I guess. I prefer the notch lapels (I imagine its not what most here like, but its what I prefer). The shoes are not the ones I would wear with this, just what was out at the time. Shirt and tie would be different as well. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads