• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo accessories

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Fellow member Duveen (A true gentlemen) was kind enough to pick up the Sartorio tuxedo from Filene's Basement that he posted about.  In November my wife and I are going on a two week cruise to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary/30th birthdays.  There are four formal nights where I plan to wear the tux.  It is an awesome one button number that would lend itself well for wearing vests.  Any recommendations where I can get nice tux accessories?  It would be a shame to have to get the accessories from men's warehouse to go with such a nice tuxedo.  I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Andy

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holland is but a few hours away from metro Detroit. Check out the Claymore Shop in Birmingham and Somerset Mall (Nordstroms, Saks, Nieman Marcus). Not really sure what is available in greater Grand Rapids.

armscye

Reaction score
Try a couple of antique shops. In the Thirties and Forties, it seems that everyone owned tuxedo studs and cufflinks, and I have rarely failed to find some interesting sets in a good-sized antique shop. The most common seem to be smoked or light mother-of-pearl. You'll need two cuff links, either three or four studs for the shirt, and (if you have a formal vest configured for it) three larger studs for the vest. The jury seems to be out on whether they need all match-- some say that studs and links need not be in the same style, though they should be the same color of metal.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Robert Talbot makes some very nice vests. I got mine at Nordstrom. Paul Stuart also has some very elegant vests. You may also want to check out Favourbrook: http://www.favourbrook.com/system/index.html Ebay is a good source for interesting cufflinks and studs. I picked up some antique Mikimoto pearl and onyx studs and cufflinks on ebay for not a lot of money. Otherwise, I would suggest estate/vintage jewelery shops. Kai

inglewood3

Reaction score
A few things about this situation -

1. Just for pedantic reasons, I'll make it known that the proper way to abbreviate "tuxedo" is "tuc". Always something interesting to point out to people.

2. Just my opinion, but with a one button dinner jacket (I'm assuming both peak and shaw lapels), a cummerbund is more aesthetically pleasing than a vest - if you do choose a vest, spare the world and find one that is a full vest (with a back), not looking like men's wearhouse, as you said before. Good luck.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a backless vest, Inglewood. I don't see why you put it down so much. It really comes in handy when dining on lobster.
smile.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll make it known that the proper way to abbreviate "tuxedo" is "tuc".

Why??

inglewood3

Reaction score
Backless vests just do not seem to present a "finished" look. It always reminds me of something from a rented formal wear establishment. It also makes me want to kill myself.

The abbreviation (and origin) of the dinner jacket can only be described as arbitrary, in my opinion, as it was 'founded' in tuxedo park in the late 19th century. The gentlemen's recalcitrant behavior towards formal wear at the time (white tie, of course) led to a jacket sans tails, and these men stated that "the uninformed" abbreviate "tuxedo" as "tux". As far as I know (although I'd love to hear a specific reason why), they declared "tuc" worthy instead of "tux". You'll find about 1 in 150 men that know this

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inglewood, I totally agree on the backless vest. I was just kidding.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Highly recommend double-sided cufflinks and studs set from Paul Stuart (you can call the NYC or Chicago store), they come in onyx or mother of pearl disks, and are very reasonable for the set.' For vests, unless you are a 40-40reg looking for a white pique full back vest (in which case I can help you personally&#33
wink.gif
, strongly recommend you check out the online boutique at www.victortalbots.com a great website, and plenty of vests on there to order online.

Classic

Reaction score
While I agree that a cummerbund is a more "formal" look, I like to wear a vest with a tuxedo. In fact, I recently had one made, full back.
Personaly, the full back just fits better, and is in my view one of those things that while no one may notice, I know, and this is enough for me.
Try some of the higher end stores that sell tuxedos, especially now that the sale season is on. You could get lucky and find a nice vest being sold there.

Classic

inglewood3

Reaction score
This post has actually caused me to begin looking for a full-back vest for my dinner clothing. "I've had it". Also, can we discuss WHY it is so damn hard to find double sided cuff links these days? (besides the obvious costs and obliviousness of most men)

Classic

Reaction score
Depending on where you live, Holt's Last Call had a rather large selection of double sided links last week when I visited the Toronto location.
Also, noticed a few pairs at Marshall's in Buffalo a couple of weeks ago.

Classic

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads