• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tux shirt: Does it have to have pleats/bib?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it wrong for a tux shirt to have neither pleats nor bib? I can't seem to find a tux shirt at a reasonable price that fits slim enough for me (BB slim and PRL Custom Fit too big in the arms) and am starting to think about finding a nice white double cuff shirt with a textured weave and just having the buttons removed and holes for studs put in their place. Is this wrong?

As an aside, is there a reason there aren't a couple of sub-forums in MC for things like formal wear?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My original tux shirt was exactly what you describe. Got a tailor to remove the buttons and create stud holes. More recently I discovered the Thomas Pink Marcella shirt and I love it, a nice bit of interesting texture without the girly pleats and ruffles. A plain flat front shirt is NOT a black tie faux pas IMO.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
My original tux shirt was exactly what you describe. Got a tailor to remove the buttons and create stud holes. More recently I discovered the Thomas Pink Marcella shirt and I love it, a nice bit of interesting texture without the girly pleats and ruffles. A plain flat front shirt is NOT a black tie faux pas IMO.

I looked at Pink, but the only slim fit evening shirt they had was a wing collar, of which I am not a fan. Pink does, however, offer some nice textured slim fit shirts, as well as a white tone-on-tone striped shirt with double cuffs.

H&M actually had a great one for like $50 but it was a wing collar. I especially liked the fact that it had an extra flap behind the placket so you wouldn't get poked/rubbed by the studs if you elected against an undershirt (fabric was too thin to do that, though).

Unregistered

Reaction score
I have a few pleated shirts but for something different, I had my first trial shirt from modern tailor done in a plain white fabric with a fly front. It is a rather nice and clean look in my mind.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I have a few pleated shirts but for something different, I had my first trial shirt from modern tailor done in a plain white fabric with a fly front. It is a rather nice and clean look in my mind.

I also had Modern Tailor make me a "tuxedo" shirt - I went with a placketless & bibless front for what I think is a modern take. I'd suggest trying MT, their trial shirt is only $20 to start and they can add a bib to it if you prefer for $10 I think plus your exact collar preference, etc.

Matt S

Reaction score
I think a plain white shirt without pleats or a bib is fine. It should have a spread collar, double cuffs and no pocket. For this kind of shirt I think it is best without studs. It's a more relaxed look and studs won't fit in. A fly front would be my choice, but special buttons (like black mother of pearl) would be a nice touch. Even standard mother of pearl buttons would still be fine. Anything from a smooth poplin to a heavy texture is acceptable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads