• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TUX perhaps commissioning bespoke vest... need advice

new obsession

Reaction score
I own a 1 button shawl collar tuxedo with grosgrain facing(s). I most recently wore it with a cummerbund, as I found few vest options I liked. I will be wearing it a few more times in the fall, and I am considering having a vest made... few questions.

1) What is the best look for my tux? I am thinking full back, textured grosgrain or something along the same lines, 2 or three buttons, but "scooped" very low (almost as low as a cummerbund) to show 3 (possibly 4) studs) with no lapels.

2) Chan is in town for the next few days, but also considering Mr. Ned. Thoughts or suggestions? (I have to go to Chan anyway to get the shoulders/armholes fixed on the suit I had made in HK. Haven't worn it because it just isn't right yet, don't feel comfortable in it - hopefully it will work!)

3) [Ancilllary Questions] August wedding, black tie optional, outdoors in New England. Tuxedo of course (thought about white DJ, but the groom will be wearing one, and I don't want to compete) will a vest be too hot? Should I stick with the cummerbund for this one? Pocket square, keyed to wife's dress (matron of honor), white silk, or another option?)

new obsession

Reaction score
Nary a comment or recommendation, I'm dissappointed, perhaps I got to elaborate for one post...

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
Nary a comment or recommendation, I'm dissappointed, perhaps I got to elaborate for one post...

Personally I would also consider wool, if you could match the fabric of the tuxedo. Otherwise grosgrain (or perhaps black watered silk?) would be a good choice. I agree with the idea of the full back and deep opening, although I would go with a "V" opening, rather than a scoop - the latter seem a bit 70s to me (apologies if I have misuderstood your meaning). Two buttons seems too few; I would go for three or four. What are the buttons of your tuxedo like? Finally, I would definitely consider having lapels, preferably the style which are cut straight at the bottom. Two pockets?

For the August wedding, although I am only familiar with the climate here in old England, I imagine you might overheat in a waistcoat. As to pocket square, the white would seem safest but a red pocket square, if a bit flash, could add some interest.

Anthony.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scooped three buttons, shawl collar. no back will be cooler (and necessary in NE summer) but I like a full back, too. I don't think you could fnid a matching fabric though.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Scooped three buttons, shawl collar. no back will be cooler (and necessary in NE summer) but I like a full back, too. I don't think you could fnid a matching fabric though.

You think shawl on the vest as well as the coat?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Missed that. Yes, I think shawl is necessary/best on a formal waistcoat, but personally prefer a cummerbund with a shawl collar DJ.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Missed that. Yes, I think shawl is necessary/best on a formal waistcoat, but personally prefer a cummerbund with a shawl collar DJ.

That is what I currently wear, and may just stick with it, and throw the $200 into my next Chan production!!!! (Or possibly a shot at Mr. Ned.) (Plus I still have to get down to see Carl at CEGO, and then there is FIH, alright cummerbund it is... The money is better spent elsewhere.)

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I am considering nothing BUT full back
Corrected.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads