• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tux jacket for casual-wear

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a tux jacket I had thought about wearing with jeans to go out. It's a plain black one button, and it is somewhat shorter and fits very trim. Would this work with dark jeans/black boots and either a dark t-shirt or some sort of button-down?

Also, and I might be crazy, I was wondering how it would look to take a black tux jacket, cut off the buttons and replace them with white dinner jacket buttons. But I'm not sure it would work right.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing like a slim 1-button dinner jacket for streetwear. I love it, however a button-down wouldn't work so well as a t-shirt or sweater because you have to go rock chic if you want that sort of jacket to work.

As for buttons, sounds like a cool idea.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In some circles, I would think such an outfit is perfectly acceptable. However, if I saw you walking around in the street (even in a club or lounge) wearing a dinner jacket with jeans, I might think that you're trying too hard. No offense.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think it'd look ok.

But i'd rather wear a plain black one button peak lapel jacket instead of a tux jacket.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like Flame said, you've gotta push the rock chic thing. Something like Dior jeans and some sort of slightly out-there accessory like a silk scarf, and probably a bedhead.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I think it'd look ok.

But i'd rather wear a plain black one button peak lapel jacket instead of a tux jacket.

make it velvet (and since you're a PS fan, that's a man who knows how to cut a mean velvet jacket) and you're set to go...

To the original poster, good idea but wear a t-shirt, otherwise it's 100% formal top and streetwear bottom, looks stupid...

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I see nohing wrong with it, dress it down and with the right shoes so you'll be set. If it looks like you're trying too hard you probably are.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My thought had been to pair it with RRDS (washed once to be dark and un-faded), black side-zip Bruno Magli boots with a longish toe and something like a plain charcoal v-neck tshirt with a white crew neck underneath, or something else very simple and casual with a couple of basic colors that work with with dark blue and black, maybe grays, marroons or even other shades of blue. It wouldn't be quite "rocker chic," nor would it be "I'm trying to dress up jeans by using a tux jacket." I'm not sure what exactly it would be called, but I'm moving to SoCal, so I have a feeling I could get away with it
wink.gif

Lengman

Reaction score
Hello, kinda off topic but i was wondering if anyone could help me...
i have recently purchased a navy blue blazer with black on the collar... i was intending on wearing it casually with a dark pair of jeans, white hankerchief and dark tan shoes!? ideally i would wear black shoes but was wondering if i could i incorporate them with my new dark brown shoes from church's?
is this a big no no or could i pull it off?
Thank you

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I see nohing wrong with it, dress it down and with the right shoes so you'll be set. If it looks like you're trying too hard you probably are.
It's a hard line to walk, you gotta have nice stuff to go with it.

trunks206

Reaction score
I saw someone in London wearing a well fitted tux jacket, white V-neck, jeans and some nice shoes and I thought it looked great as I walkled by. Plus he had 4 good looking girls with him so he must have been doing something right...haha

madstaxbro

Reaction score
Something like this would be pretty neato if you've got the confidence to look good but not douchey. Accessories would probably keep it casual enough to get away with smoothly.
nyVqx.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics