• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turtleneck and button-up shirt?

GQGuyWannaBe

Reaction score
Hi- is it all right to wear a button-up shirt over a turtleneck? In particular, I have a dark green button-up shirt and a black turtleneck.

What do you think?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't suppose it'll hurt, provided the turtleneck is some innocuous-looking color (like brown) that blends in easily with your skin tone and doesn't catch the viewer's eye more than it has to.

Black might work. I suggest leaving the button-up open for the first two buttons.

GQGuyWannaBe

Reaction score
Tnx, and yea I forgot to mention that I wasn't planning on buttoning it all the way up, rather leave it undone two maybe three buttons- like you suggested....

mrprlover

Reaction score
I have a friend that does it all the time and it actually looks good. The thinner the turtleneck the better, as it'll look all tight and puffy if it's thick. I prefer to keep the colors somewhat distinct and contrasting, but not as to catch attention, as Alias suggested. A sky blue turtleneck, white button-up...or red turtleneck and charcoal button-up.

And yeah...keep the top-2 buttons open.

Isak Bengtsbo

Reaction score
I have a friend that does it all the time and it actually looks good. The thinner the turtleneck the better, as it'll look all tight and puffy if it's thick. I prefer to keep the colors somewhat distinct and contrasting, but not as to catch attention, as Alias suggested. A sky blue turtleneck, white button-up...or red turtleneck and charcoal button-up.
I do not agree with you at all. The turtleneck can be rather thick. It looks really good anyway. It looks even more casual with a little thicker turtleneck but still elegant. I saw Gant using a sky blue turtleneck with a shirt that had a white base/bottom but a sky blue pattern and it looked smashing
biggrin.gif

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In another post you mentioned that you were 16. Anyone else on here agree that the turtle neck, button up combo is going to make him look a little beyond his years, not to mention a little nerdy (sorry man)?

I'm not sure what you style is, but this look seems kinda stuffy; save it for when your 35+.

GQGuyWannaBe

Reaction score
Yup I am 16- probably shoulda mentioned that in the first post... So, I should be saving this look for a little later in life? Didn't realize that age had that much of an influence? Perhaps I should be enlightened, as I realize now I may have made some fatal mistakes in my style past....

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you style is, but this look seems kinda stuffy; save it for when your 35+.

you're telling someone to dress a certain way in order to conform to the expectations of others. horrible advice.

gqwannabe, wear whatever makes you feel comfortable and don't listen to anyone who tells you to dress your age. only you can decide where you are in life and what is appropriate for your age.

when i was in high school, i wore dress pants and dress shirts to school because those were the clothes i liked. i went to a school where just about every guy wore a t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers everyday. i consider this being underdressed for just about anywhere unless you are playing basketball, tennis, etc... no one ever told me i should dress differently, and even my friends, who dressed like slobs, never said anything.

when i was a freshman, there was a senior at school who wore a suit and tie everyday with sunglasses. i thought he looked cool, and if i were to go back in time and attend high school again, i'd dress the way i do now (suit w/out tie).

be yourself - always.

GQGuyWannaBe

Reaction score
All true, and thanks for bringing this up; because this is all really good discussion (maybe I should start a new thread) but in Mike C's defense, there is a time/place to dress one way or another. I wouldn't want to be heading to a beach dressed in a flabby cable-knit cardigan
wink.gif
But the only thing I'm raising in my own defense is what I'm picturing probably wouldn't look good on a 35+ guy.... maybe I should post a pic of me in the combo in question and see what y'all think.

mrprlover

Reaction score
Put on the combo and decide for yourself.
Only you will know if the look reminds you of Grampa or a teen. As you mentioned, there's a time and place for everything and only you can judge.

You posed the question and received the answers...now you decide. That's the beauty of style...that you decide.
=]

VintageKyle.

Reaction score
Hi- is it all right to wear a button-up shirt over a turtleneck? In particular, I have a dark green button-up shirt and a black turtleneck. What do you think?
Style is a personal expression. Personally, I think that the look is hard to pull off without looking a bit "tired". If the shirt is freshly pressed, too new or formal it will seem stiff and forced. As it will if you roll the turtleneck to neatly. This is not to say that it can't be done, but real style cannot be forced. Believe it or not, I think it is time for the "dickey" to be re-introduced. Currently, I am designing a line of high tech clothing that will include a modern version of this misunderstood and maligned garment. Thanks for giving me a chance to express my opinion. All the best, I am sincerely, Kyle. VintageKyle.

GQGuyWannaBe

Reaction score
Hi all- Was able to get to TJMaxx yesterday, and bought a new mock turtleneck to wear instead of my more apparent true turtleneck... got two compliments already... what do you think? Photo

freakseam

Reaction score
it's really a preppy look. some people can carry it off. towards that end, it has to do with color choices (pattern, details) and thickness. usually, though, it appears, as someone pointed out earlier, 'stuffy'. the mock (like 1/2 height of a 'true' turtleneck) works much better, imho.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads