• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turntable question

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the new turntable thread, but I'm playing in a different league than the audiophiles on here, hence my question is apples and oranges compared to the turntables mentioned in earlier threads. I am looking to rescue my old LP collection from the parents' basement. I need a turntable to burn them to MP3s, and also to listen to them for old times' sake, as well as ***** and giggles. I'm not particularly an audiophile, but do like toys. Either of these look good, and the price is about the max I want to pay. Which would be best of these two? Audiotechnica: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Mappin...82E16882999164 Sony: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...?v_c=netelixir

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Sorry for the new turntable thread, but I'm playing in a different league than the audiophiles on here, hence my question is apples and oranges compared to the turntables mentioned in earlier threads. I am looking to rescue my old LP collection from the parents' basement. I need a turntable to burn them to MP3s, and also to listen to them for old times' sake, as well as ***** and giggles. I'm not particularly an audiophile, but do like toys. Either of these look good, and the price is about the max I want to pay. Which would be best of these two?

Audiotechnica:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Mappin...82E16882999164

Sony:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...?v_c=netelixir

maybe the sony. keep in mind that it will probably record each side as a single track.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have one that's branded Pioneer, but it's very similar to the Sony you posted, so much so that I'm willing to bet they used the same mold. I've been very happy with it, and it will more than suffice until I have the coin to buy a direct-drive. Mine does have one thing the ones you posted do not, and that's a speed control. If you buy one without it you could really regret it, especially on a belt-drive table.

The good news is that the one I have cost me just a bit more than the Sony you posted (IIRC mine was $120-125), and it has a speed control.

The bad news is that mine doesn't have USB-out capability, so you'd have to find a way to use RCA cables to connect for ripping.

That said, I'm willing to bet you could find one with everything you want plus speed control, but it might take some patience.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I recommended the Audio Technica as a friend has it. He replaced the cart with a Ortofon 2M Red and it is very musical.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads