• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turnbull & Asser shirts - quality and fit?

AHDK

Reaction score
Hello there,

New user here. I have been following the forum for a few weeks with big interest. It seems to be a great place for upmarket clothing, so I have a question.

I am 21, 6'2" tall and 180lbs. Thin, tall and broad shouldered. For a while I prefered dress shirts from Eterna (Redline) or Eton. Both slimfit. Their fit is very good, but there is of course a clear quality difference between the two.

I have been saving up some money to buy a few Turnbull & Asser shirts. But I was wondering how the fit of their RTW shirts are, compared to Etons RTW slimfit? I know T&A is not slimfit, but is it a really big fit, or could it go for my sort of build?

Also, I have been searching the forums about the quality of their RTW shirts. How does this compare to Etons RTW?

Hope you can help and thanks in advance
smile.gif

-Alex

mrbig

Reaction score
Turnbull & Asser are amongst the top tier for quality.

However: they don't do a few things that some of the other makers do, that doesn't really affect the longevity or wearability of the shirts with a suit. Majorly, pattern matching. They might not match the pattern at the shoulder, but they do at the cuffs, collars and on the button placket. Construction is flawless.

Fit-wise, they used to be very generous, but have slimmed the cut down and broadened the shoulder slightly - but if you go to the online store, they have measurements listed under the size guide.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Correct in that they don't focus on pattern matching at the shoulder.

Much like functional jacket cuffs, however, pattern matching is not a necessity for quality. It is an imperfect proxy or indicator that people on this board often use when looking at an item and trying to ascertain its quality. As such indicators go, pattern matching at the shoulder is one of the least important and least indicative. To wit: many third-rate online MTM makers will carefully pattern-match at the shoulder while skimping on other, more critical construction issues. Similarly, many mid-tier RTW suitmakers will use functional cuffs to add the veneer of quality to a cheap, fused suit jacket. Such tactics have become extremely common in recent years, following closely on the popularity -- on this board and others -- of looking for such things as quality indicators.

Tl;dr: Pattern matching is not the tried-and-true mark of quality that it once was, and T&A's casual attitude toward it should not be held against the brand.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
T&A quality will smoke the Etons.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
T&A Shirts are amongst the best IMHO and I went through a phase of only buying their shirts. I am a similar build to yourself and whilst their shirts are not cut as slim as I would like it's by no means baggy, however you may find their standard sleeve lengths on the short side.

I haven't purchased any of their shirts over the past two years so I don't know if they are now offering differing sleeve lengths.

Good luck

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my limited experience H&K is slightly better than T&A, but if you like handmade details then look to Naples

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Neapolitans are the best.

Period.

Really? Who?

Please don't be a Napoli nut-swinger, claiming anything and everything clothing related from Naples is superior to anything else out there.
smile.gif

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 3 of them and I like them. Not crazy about them, but they are well made.

2qno8id.jpg

246wax3.jpg

5xnacl.jpg

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Northampton Novice
T&A Shirts are amongst the best IMHO and I went through a phase of only buying their shirts. I am a similar build to yourself and whilst their shirts are not cut as slim as I would like it's by no means baggy, however you may find their standard sleeve lengths on the short side.

+1

Found them surprisingly slim when I tried some on in the Jermyn St shop. I imagined myself to be swimming in fabric, but as it turned out, not so much.

However the sleeve length was slightly too short for me and shirts only come with the one sleeve length.

Lovely construction however.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael34
Really? How can you be so sure? I personally like Neapolitans too as somebody have said it so well, they are the best.

I've owned both.

What does Eton have to do with Napoli?
confused.gif

mrbig

Reaction score
I forgot to add this:

I've tried a few other Jermyn St names including Hilditch & Key, Harvie & Hudson and Emma Willis. I found H&K's collars to be 'weak' and lacking presence - otherwise a well made shirt for a good price. Harvie & Hudson's buttons were razor thin, the collars were fused but the cuffs weren't (weirdly) and the collar was half decent looking. at 33GBP on sale, worthwhile. BUT they offer different sleeve lengths unlike the more renowned names. Emma Willis was great, but I wouldnt deck out my wardrobe with their shirts, just didn't feel all that special - and they were the most expensive I've bought.

Turnbull & Asser might not be Finamore or Barba...but they don't claim to be. They offer a simple, well made, well cut shirt that - works. And on sale, for 80GBP - are good value considering the Exclusives retail for 130GBP+ (even better if you don't live in the EU and get the VAT refund)
I'm probably a life customer because they work, they have good customer service and their fabrics are stunning to look at.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbig
Turnbull & Asser are amongst the top tier for quality.

However: they don't do a few things that some of the other makers do, that doesn't really affect the longevity or wearability of the shirts with a suit. Majorly, pattern matching. They might not match the pattern at the shoulder, but they do at the cuffs, collars and on the button placket. Construction is flawless.

Fit-wise, they used to be very generous, but have slimmed the cut down and broadened the shoulder slightly - but if you go to the online store, they have measurements listed under the size guide.

Just like any other machine made shirt.... I think Duke Gambert makes a hell of a better shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads