• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Turnbull and Asser- Shrinkage

rossyl

Reaction score
Hi All

I've got a few Turnbull and Asser ready to wear shirts. They are of course not cheap.

I have been extremely disappointed and surprised by the amount of shrinkage of the shirts, such that I question if you can ever get a shirt the correct size from them!

Arms - The arms were initially too long and I was going to get them shortened. Good job I didn't. They've shrunk by almost an inch!!

Chest and Waist - This did fit well, it's now shrunk and is a almost a bit too small.

Collar - This is the most annoying. I have purchased a 16.5" collar..I expect a 16.5" collar. It no longer is that. I suspect it's shrunk to around 16"

Turnbull and Asser claim that there's natural shrinkage due to quality materials.

Fit is of paramount importance when buying clothes. It doesn't matter what the shirt is made of if it doesn't fit.

I question how you can buy a shirt from them that fits when they experience so much shrinkage, but especially when that shrinkage is at such different levels across the shirt:

1" sleeve shrinkage,

0.5" collar shrinkage,

0.5"-1" shrinkage across chest and waist.

It is really quite annoying.

Just thought I'd let others know of my experience.

R

Last edited:

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Collar - This is the most annoying. I have purchased a 16.5" collar..I expect a 16.5" collar. It no longer is that. I suspect it's shrunk to around 16"
Have you read their size guide before ordering shirts? Quote from their size guide:

"When choosing a Turnbull & Asser shirt, there is no need to buy a larger size to allow for shrinkage, which happens to all fine quality cotton during its first few washes.
We have already allowed for this in our design, and the actual collar measurement on a new shirt will be up to 1/2" (1.3cm) larger than the stated size."

So you should expect 0,5" collar shrinkage and it's nothing surprising... however if the collar is smaller than stated size after the shrinkage - then I think that you should make a complaint.

Last edited:

rossyl

Reaction score
Thanks I had done. It's just not correct.

My 16.5" collar did not start at 17" and reduce down to 16.5". It is now (after 5 washes at home at 30c) about 16"

Also, the shirt shrinks at different rates but quite considerably. They state this on their website, but it is still absurd.

I have other nice shirts and have never experienced this haphazrd level of shrinkage.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 40+ of those shirts, which I have picked up over the years, and have never had the same experience, did you air dry? Cold water?

Call the shop and see what they can do, I would be shocked if they did not help.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
I get them laundered. I've ruined so many good shirts through washing them that it's cheaper in the long run. Also, it's quite nice getting them back all ironed and whatnot. As someone suggested, call the shop, they will be helpful.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Given that the collar is the make or break element to the fit, you might want to try stretching the collar (hard) when it’s wet and keep doing it as you iron. I find you can typically get at least a quarter inch more room that way which can keep a shirt wearable. You may need to keep doing it after each wash.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's