1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Turnback Cuffs on Dress Shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bob01, May 24, 2008.

1. Mustapha

Mustapha Senior member

Mustapha, I absolutely love your shirts!

Thanks. I think of myself as a creative type.[​IMG] These styles are not for the Everyman.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a shot of some more shirts in the Trend shop, awaiting pickup. Therse aren't mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ladies shirts too.

[​IMG]

2. mdavie

mdavie Well-Known Member

Thread resurrect... how might these cuffs look with a button down collar? Has anyone ever tried that combination?

This is a little different but it's a button down with white lining inside the cuff and white lining on the inside of the collar. Good for casual.

[​IMG]

-------------------------
    www.jamesvii.com

3. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

So, I've been thinking of getting turnback cuffs on some of my shirts.

Is it considered a style faux paux to have turnback cuffs on French cuff shirts? Especially given that FCs are considered formal, and turnback cuffs are considered informal. I've seen several people do it, but then again, I've also seen several people wear black suits.

What do folks here think?

4. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

So, I've been thinking of getting turnback cuffs on some of my shirts. Is it considered a style faux paux to have turnback cuffs on French cuff shirts? Especially given that FCs are considered formal, and turnback cuffs are considered informal. I've seen several people do it, but then again, I've also seen several people wear black suits. What do folks here think?
    Do you mean those James Bond cuffs? If so, I never liked them because they look like the wearer wants to be a prepackaged James Bond. It's a good thing Inspector Gadget didn't have a special type of shirt cuff.

5. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

I don't much care for them, to me they almost look like something you would see on a womens blouse or something.

6. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I don't much care for them, to me they almost look like something you would see on a womens blouse or something.
    Ha! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Do you mean those James Bond cuffs? If so, I never liked them because they look like the wearer wants to be a prepackaged James Bond. It's a good thing Inspector Gadget didn't have a special type of shirt cuff.
    Yeah, the old Bond(s) used to wear them (I don't think I've seen the style on any of the newer ones). I've seen some people pull them off really well, while on others, it looks like they're trying too hard. That said, I really do like Mustapha's shirts here -- not something I'd try, but interesting nevertheless.

7. bafield

bafield Senior member

To quote another SF'er...

I just puked in my mouth!

8. Roy

Roy Senior member

Barba:
    [​IMG]

Hey! That's my shirt!

9. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

Resurrect.

The problem I see with the turnbacks posted here is that they flare out too much at the bottom, and the gap between the turbacked portions around the buttons is too large... I wonder if they would look better maybe if the turnback was sewn onto the underlying cuff to make a tight, flush look that wasn't as gaudy?

For example, I like how the one below hugs a little tighter and doesn't flare much (though it's still too loose and frumply)... but that huge gap around the buttons looks weird in my opinion- the turbacked portion should be brought in a little closer. Also, I would suggest the whole cuff be longer, since I see a serious problem of the suit cuff getting stuck behind the turback as Bond lowers his arm here.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

[​IMG]

10. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

Resurrect.

The problem I see with the turnbacks posted here is that they flare out too much at the bottom, and the gap between the turbacked portions around the buttons is too large... I wonder if they would look better maybe if the turnback was sewn onto the underlying cuff to make a tight, flush look that wasn't as gaudy?

For example, I like how the one below hugs a little tighter and doesn't flare much (though it's still too loose and frumply)... but that huge gap around the buttons looks weird in my opinion- the turbacked portion should be brought in a little closer. Also, I would suggest the whole cuff be longer, since I see a serious problem of the suit cuff getting stuck behind the turback as Bond lowers his arm here.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

[​IMG]

Hey, that's my screen cap! This to me is a perfect example of a cocktail cuff. But if that cuff was a collar, are you saying that you would prefer less spread? By that way, that is Simon Templar, not James Bond. I like how not only the shirt has turnback cuffs but the suit does too. Because the cuff has less flair as you mentioned, the jacket sleeve is less likely to get caught on the cuff. And the cuff has rounded corners, which are a big help. I have the problem with my jacket getting caught on the shirt cuff with normal square-cut double cuffs. I see many online shirt makers that make cocktail cuffs with square corners, which will always have this problem. That shirt is probably made by Frank Foster. The Turnbull & Asser cuffs have a longer turnback. When designing my cocktail cuffs for my shirts from Modern Tailor I based my design mostly on the cuff pictured here. You can see how mine turned out here:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=211919

11. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

^I like the ones in your link, i'm glad to find a fellow admirer [​IMG] But indeed, the ones above and the ones in your link seem to have too much 'spread' (by which, yes, i mean the same thing as a collar's spread- i.e. the area between the two ends of the foldback is too big) ...I'd want the turnbacked portion to edge very closely to the buttons, i.e. be more narrow. By doing it that way, I think it would look less ostentatious. I would also like the whole turnbacked portion to be more pressed closely to the barrel cuff beneath, to make it even more subtle. I like how this one has a button to keep it fused like that:

[​IMG]

I also note that your turnbacks don't meet evenly at the top of the cuff- there seems to be some overlap. To illustrate how I'd want my turnbacks to look, I edited another Bond one below (mine's on the right):

[​IMG]

12. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

I also note that your turnbacks don't meet evenly at the top of the cuff- there seems to be some overlap. To illustrate how I'd want my turnbacks to look, I edited another Bond one below (mine's on the right):

[​IMG]

Mine would meet at the top, it's just that they need to be repressed.
    You'd probably like Udeshi's cocktail cuffs, as they have a much narrower spread. Udeshi's cuffs look just like the one's Dick Van Dyke wore on the Dick Van Dyke Show:

[​IMG]

13. ireker

ireker New Member

same for me, but I think this only added for the designed. Same construction for basic french cuff.