• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuna sandwich

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Old Bay seasoning. I ate tuna about three times a week, on average, in graduate school when I was really po'. The super-quick method is one can tuna, mayo, Old Bay, and bread. The quick method is one can tuna, mayo, Old Bay, maybe a slice of cheddar cheese, folded into a flour tortilla and toasted in the cast iron skillet. The deluxe gourmet method is one can tuna, mayo, Old Bay, half an onion chopped as fine as you like it, with tomato slices, on toasted bread or in flour tortilla, toasted. The super-deluxe gourmet method is one can tuna, mayo, Old Bay, half an onion chopped as fine as you like, with tomato slices, on toasted bread, covered with cheddar cheese slice and toasted under the broiler (the "tuna melt").

Old Bay seasoning is basically celery salt with the red spices. Salt, pepper, and celery chopped as fine as you like will do when there is no Old Bay, but saving the labor of chopping celery was well worth, for me, the low cost of Old Bay. One can will last you a year, unless you do a boil or something.

I preferred the albacore to the chunk light, back in the heavy tuna-eating days, but most often ate the cheapest chunk light because it was so economical. Then when the wife got pregnant, I found out how much mercury is in the large fishes (like albacore), and switched to all chunk light every time. I never observed any significant difference among all the various brands, so I always buy the cheapest bobo brand and love it every time.

Man, I could write a dissertation on the tuna sandwich. Actually, I did (and just did), I think.

Tuna sandwich
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Interesting idea. The only time I have Old Bay is with my crab. Not sure how it would work with tuna though.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Meditteranian Olives go great with tuna, though removing the pits is a PITA.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD

You talkin on the side, or diced up & put in the salad?

Roland Loden of Germany

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD

I have removed the stones from superior German cherries as a young lass with only a butter knife. As an adult male I make the best advance of German engineering with this device which works also on olives:

cherry-pitter.jpg

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like cooked tuna. I do like it as sushi.

poelow

Reaction score
I almost exclusivley enjoy a tuna melt.
teacha.gif
I like StarKist white albacore in water mixed with Best Foods mayonaise. Two good slices of sourdough bread, with mayonaise spread lightly on each side and cheddar cheese melted on a griddle at 400 degrees makes for a wonderful sandwich in my opinion. Some may say this is rather plain without including tomatoes or celery, but its the way I personally prefer.
happy.gif
edit: I just read through the entire thread and realized my sandwich is pretty bland in comparison... oh well, perhaps I need to cultivate my tates and become more adventurous!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got home tonight from the bar and went for another tuna sandwich. I added chopped onions and capers, grain mustard, and soy sauce. It tasted awesome. I think this is my tuna sandwich recipe from now.

Thanks, I knew I'd get something useful from you bunch.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poelow
I almost exclusivley enjoy a tuna melt.
teacha.gif
I like StarKist white albacore in water mixed with Best Foods mayonaise. Two good slices of sourdough bread, with mayonaise spread lightly on each side and cheddar cheese melted on a griddle at 400 degrees makes for a wonderful sandwich in my opinion. Some may say this is rather plain without including tomatoes or celery, but its the way I personally prefer.
happy.gif
edit: I just read through the entire thread and realized my sandwich is pretty bland in comparison... oh well, perhaps I need to cultivate my tates and become more adventurous!

The tuna melt is one of my favorite lunch dishes. Simple, delicious and easy to make. While I love tuna salad, it does not beat a good chicken salad. I recommend the chicken salad sandwich available at the Bergdorf Goodman cafe. I'd probably pay $100 to have one right this very minute.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
The tuna melt is one of my favorite lunch dishes. Simple, delicious and easy to make.

While I love tuna salad, it does not beat a good chicken salad. I recommend the chicken salad sandwich available at the Bergdorf Goodman cafe. I'd probably pay $100 to have one right this very minute.

A chicken sandwich means you actually have to cook up the chicken. Too much work for a quickie sandwich.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roland Loden of Germany
That tomato is the shape of a heart. Did you think to share this sandwich with a lover?

You like it, the tomato core?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roland Loden of Germany
I have removed the stones from superior German cherries...

crackup[1].gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You can get cooked canned chicken.

I used to make a lot of tuna sandwiches but I've gotten lazier and often just eat the tuna with a fork. A little s & p and some dill relish mixed in and I'm good. I also just tried it the other day with some vinaigrette and that was tasty. Would be good in a sub type sandwich, very lean.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
in lieu of mayo, i have shifted to putting in extra virgin olive oil along with capers, sea salt, cracked pepper, chopped onions and some garlic. Also, I tried using other 'fillers' and thin apple slices and sliced avocado goes very well with tuna sandwich too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads