• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tuna and Mercury

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 7, 2006
Messages
1,376
Reaction score
6
What's the current consensus about canned tuna and mercury levels? Do they still recommend that you only eat light canned tuna? Is albacore still ok?
 

why

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
9,733
Reaction score
406
If you're not pregnant and/or over 18, eat up. Larger fish (albacore) have more mercury bioaccumulation, but if you're a decent-sized person it shouldn't be a big issue.
 

bearlydavid

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2006
Messages
176
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by why
If you're not pregnant and/or over 18, eat up. Larger fish (albacore) have more mercury bioaccumulation, but if you're a decent-sized person it shouldn't be a big issue.
I dont remember the exact amounts... But I think you would have to eat something on the order of 12 cans a day for it to effect you.
 

brissyboy

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Messages
148
Reaction score
1
Maybe if you can switch to salmon, has the lowest absorption of mercury and is better for your heart.
 

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
5,127
Reaction score
72
Avoid farm raised salmon, however. Dramatically higher mercury accumulation in farms.

Personally, I don't eat tuna or any other large, deep fish anymore, and barring rather dramatic advances in environmental cleanup, I don't expect to ever again.
 

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 7, 2002
Messages
11,651
Reaction score
4,018
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Avoid farm raised salmon, however. Dramatically higher mercury accumulation in farms.

Personally, I don't eat tuna or any other large, deep fish anymore, and barring rather dramatic advances in environmental cleanup, I don't expect to ever again.

What fish do you eat?
 

atomicranch

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2007
Messages
441
Reaction score
0
Canned light tuna is supposed to be better than other tuna, but there have some studies that suggest that the mercury levels aren't all that much lower.

As far as I'm concerned, wild salmon is the way to go: low mercury, lots of Omega-3s, tons of vitamin D. I eat a nice King or Sockeye fillet at least once a week.

And agreed, farmed salmon is nasty.

Here's a good chart showing mercury levels in various fish:
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html
 

why

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
9,733
Reaction score
406
Or you could live your life and not give a shit.
 

sleekblackroadster

Senior Member
Joined
May 29, 2008
Messages
196
Reaction score
1
how many of you have had any kind of mercury-related, tangible consequence from eating tuna fish?

i eat all sorts of fresh fish and i'm doing fine over here.
 

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
20,423
Reaction score
3,668
If you're that worried you can get a cilantro tincture to try and chelate that mercury and pass it out of your system. I don't worry about it though.
 

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
20,423
Reaction score
3,668
Yeah it would certainly free up time to make asinine posts on messageboards

Originally Posted by why
Or you could live your life and not give a shit.
 

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 7, 2006
Messages
1,376
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by atomicranch
Canned light tuna is supposed to be better than other tuna, but there have some studies that suggest that the mercury levels aren't all that much lower.

As far as I'm concerned, wild salmon is the way to go: low mercury, lots of Omega-3s, tons of vitamin D. I eat a nice King or Sockeye fillet at least once a week.

And agreed, farmed salmon is nasty.

Here's a good chart showing mercury levels in various fish:
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html


Thanks. Yeah I do eat wild alaskan sockey salmon, but I'll make tuna sandwiches because they're quick and canned salmon tastes rather disgusting to me.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

  • JW Anderson x Uniqlo

  • Nigo x Virgil Abloh

  • Converse x Midnight Studios

  • Rick Owens x Champion

  • Barbour x Engineered Garments

  • Adidas x Bed JW Ford

  • Jordan Brand x Dior

  • Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

  • Lego x Levi's


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
446,652
Messages
9,660,879
Members
201,863
Latest member
iitaii
Top