• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tucking sweaters in

tallgolfnut

Reaction score
Is it a big fashion faux pas to tuck a sweater inside jeans? I have a few tall sizes in v-necks that I think look to long (although not in the sleeve) and I tuck them into my jeans. Plus if I wear a jacket I hate the look of the sweater hanging down past the length of the jacket. Whadda ya think?

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as tucking with a blazer/sportcoat over a sweater, I usually tuck. My $.02.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Time for new new sweaters.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tallgolfnut
Is it a big fashion faux pas to tuck a sweater inside jeans? I have a few tall sizes in v-necks that I think look to long (although not in the sleeve) and I tuck them into my jeans. Plus if I wear a jacket I hate the look of the sweater hanging down past the length of the jacket. Whadda ya think?

It certainly can be done and is pretty sweater specific. I think a fine knit sweater is no problem, but any sort of chunkier knit could be harder to pull off.

beckett

Reaction score
I say unless your attending a formal event dressed in a suit, never tuck anything in unless your over 50.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Time for new new sweaters.

Agreed.

Most of my sweaters end exactly at the beltline, so they couldn't be tucked even if I wanted to. Which I wouldn't want to do. Because it would make you look fatter. Especially if we're talking chunky sweaters. But thin sweaters ... that would make you look fat too. I wouldn't do it. Get sweaters that actually fit.

BostonRussell

Reaction score
To me the look of almost anything tucked into jeans is awful. Those belt loops are just the crudest look.

Exception: the rare badass who manages to make tucking a white T into jeans look good.

freelance robotics

Reaction score
does anyone have a picture of a sweater tuck that works? because i certainly can't picture it...

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I have a very thin silk sweater vest that I tuck into slacks. But I can't see tucking a sweater into jeans.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually saw the sweater-tuck this weekend. It seemed to work alright, but I agree with the other posts, the sweater would need to be thin. In the future, it would be best to stay away from tall sizes and make sure that your sweaters fit before buying.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beckett
I say unless your attending a formal event dressed in a suit, never tuck anything in unless your over 50.

50 what? Years? Please say you didn't mean to be ageist.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
Agreed.

Most of my sweaters end exactly at the beltline, so they couldn't be tucked even if I wanted to. Which I wouldn't want to do. Because it would make you look fatter. Especially if we're talking chunky sweaters. But thin sweaters ... that would make you look fat too. I wouldn't do it. Get sweaters that actually fit.

I agree there's a slimmer, shorter, new style of sweater that doesn't work this way. At the same time, there's a more "classic" style of the fuller and slightly longer sweater. But I would say that even this doesn't work. I just don't think any sweater looks good tucked into anything.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BostonRussell
To me the look of almost anything tucked into jeans is awful. Those belt loops are just the crudest look.

Exception: the rare badass who manages to make tucking a white T into jeans look good.

Some long sleeve shirts look fine tucked into jeans. It all depends on the shirt and the jeans.

tallgolfnut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
I actually saw the sweater-tuck this weekend. It seemed to work alright, but I agree with the other posts, the sweater would need to be thin. In the future, it would be best to stay away from tall sizes and make sure that your sweaters fit before buying.
If I'm tall why should I stay away from tall sizes? Most of my v-neck sweaters are thin so the bulkiness tucked in doesn't happen. I have a very long upper torso, so leaving them out makes my upper body look longer IMO. I have some Polo half zips that I wouldn't think of tucking in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads