• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tucking in the tie

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score
so all my life ive been using the four in hand knot while tying ties and it usually leaves alot of excess so that the tie sits well below the belt line. ive gotten into the habit of tucking in the end of my tie into my pants just because it prevents it from flip flopping around while my jacket is unbuttoned. BUT i only seem to do this with a box end knit tie, not so much with a pointed end silk tie.

good look, bad look? kinda sorta maybe?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Disagree. It looks somehow way too juvenile for a grown man, like when adults tuck linen serviettes (napkins to you colonials) into the top of their shirts when out to dinner.

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score
i acutally really enjoy the look but i can see why it would seem a bit too fashion forward (not sure if this is the correct use of the term). much like slanted pockets on a jacket.

ive kinda been doing this on a whim though without ever thinking about it. i always just hated having my tie go past the top of my belt and refused to use a thicker tie knot.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that you don't want your tie flip flopping around. But I don't care for the practice of tucking a necktie into one's pants, at all. As Daniel K. Hall put it, in his book, "How to Tie a Tie," with regard to Tie Etiquette, "No tie tucking. This means no tucking the tie into the waist of the pants or behind the belt buckle. It means no tucking the narrow side of the tie into the gap between the shirt's buttons."

If the four-in-hand knot leaves you with too much length, why not try another knot? The Windsor is one option that springs to mind.

If all the knot types which use up more tie length leave you with too bulky a knot, then all I can suggest is that you eschew knit ties or buy shorter knit ties. (I'm not without sympathy. I need to buy extra long ties, so I truly do understand the pain of having to pass up a great looking tie because it's simply not a suitable length for me.)

Unlike Ianiceman, I don't see it as a juvenile thing. It's more like... I don't know, like something a man who doesn't know how to properly wear a tie might do. Like something you'd see the character of a country bumpkin do in an old movie, meant to indicate that he was unfamiliar with wearing a suit and tie. (NOT that I'm calling you a country bumpkin, polarcreamsoda. I'm just saying what the practice brings to mind.) Interestingly, such a character would likely also be shown tucking a napkin into the top of his shirt at the table, so perhaps Ianiceman and I are of similar opinion, after all.
--
Michael

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hate it. If it's a tie with thin lining, I'd just do an extra loop to make the tie ends the right length, otherwise I make the front blade the right length, and fold up the longer narrow blade behind it and put a tie clip on.

jrk264

Reaction score
so all my life ive been using the four in hand knot while tying ties and it usually leaves alot of excess so that the tie sits well below the belt line. ive gotten into the habit of tucking in the end of my tie into my pants just because it prevents it from flip flopping around while my jacket is unbuttoned. BUT i only seem to do this with a box end knit tie, not so much with a pointed end silk tie.
Do you have a short torso, such that a normal length tie can't be tied in a four in hand knot without hanging down past your belt? I don't have the book in front of me right now so I can't say who the example was, but in Dressing the Man I know Flusser approved of the tucked tie on a guy with a short torso, so you've got that going for you...

I think with a jacket on it's not an issue, and certainly is a much better solution than having the tie sticking out past the jacket. Jacket off, just wear it with confidence and I think you're fine. Bottom line, if:
1) You have to (or want to) wear a tie, but
2) A normal tie will hang down past your belt and look like a giant phallic symbol

What else can you do? A lot of fashion is rooted in a kind of stylized practicality anyways.

If it's close to an acceptable length, you could try something like a double four in hand to use some extra material. Also, bow ties are usually easier to pull off if you have a shorter torso, so you could give that a try.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This can add a bit of panache if wearing a jacket and you know what the hell you're doing.
If it's just too long for you, experiment with tying as above, or get one made to your specs -- it will save future heartache.

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score
i believe i have a proportional torso for a guy thats 5'10 but they still seem to hang beyond the belt. i dont feel any particular heartache doing this, i actually enjoy the look very much. just figured id ask the opinions of the fine gentlemen here on SF.

one reason i stick with the four in hand is because i love the idea of it being as asymmetrical knot. the idea of it being a perfectly symmetrical puts me off. I study architecture at school and its just one of those pet peeves you pick up.

could there be a generation gap between younger crowd and the older in regards to this?

jrk264

Reaction score
i believe i have a proportional torso for a guy thats 5'10 but they still seem to hang beyond the belt. i dont feel any particular heartache doing this, i actually enjoy the look very much. just figured id ask the opinions of the fine gentlemen here on SF.
When you're doing this, how far down is the skinny end of the tie hanging? If you're tying the tie oddly in order for it to be long enough to tuck in to your pants, I'm not sure that's a good look.

Also, the double four in hand is just a four in hand with a second pass over the knot, so you keep the asymmetry. Could still have an issue with the knot size depending on the thickness of the tie.

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score
usually with knit ties, the knots are bigger than with a non knit tie so a double four in hand with a knit would seem just way too big.

i dont do this purposely. i tie my tie and it so happens that the tail end is just as long as the front end when i cinch it up all the way. i then proceed to tuck.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321
"It means no tucking the narrow side of the tie into the gap between the shirt's buttons."

People who write rules like this are idiots. I'm kinda short, and if I didn't tuck the narrow end of any standard length tie between my shirt buttons it would hang down to my crotch; I think tucking it in is preferable to that...

As for tucking the wide end into your trousers, I think it can look good in certain circumstances.

howbah

Reaction score
tucking your tie into your pants is like tucking your shirt into your underpants.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find it to be an extremely affected look. I would not recommend. That said, we need to know more about your background. Are you going clubbing with "hip young people" trying this look? That would be fine. If you are trying to wear a suit with class in a business setting, no, don't do it.

mlongano

Reaction score
You can do what you like but the bottom line is that the tie is too long...

...call Sam Hober and order the proper length for your body and knot preferences.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads