• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tucking in shirt - age, culture or what?

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Is wearing a shirt untucked more of a US thing or an "under 30" thing or what? I'm confused!

My office is formal except on Fridays so on that day I wear jeans and a casual shirt, either tucked or untucked. Last week I wore a short-ish shirt, untucked with jeans and boots. Yesterday I wore a short-ish white shirt (casual, some fancy lining on the collar and cuffs) I had made for me, but decided to wear it tucked in with the jeans and a black Boss jacket with patch pockets for when I step out of the office. Looked fine, got compliments from the ladies and so on.

Anyway, one guy (ironically somebody who never dresses smartly or with any style at all) said to me in a condescending tone "I can never get used to this 'shirt tucked in' look" as if I were doing something wildly unconventional.

Reading SF it seems that many people feel the same - 'if it's not a dress shirt it shouldn't be tucked' is close to consensus. This is something that completely passed me by as I wear casual shirts tucked in most of the time. Is this look a complete aberration in the US? (I'm a Brit working in Japan.) Or is it because I'm in my late 30s i.e. this look is something that spread after I left school and college?

I will continue to wear whatever I feel comfortable with but I'm curious as to what others think!

TD

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I never tuck. It makes me feel like a total dork.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Only time I tuck casual shirts is when I'm wearing something over them

TxdoHawk

Reaction score
For me, it's typically a combo of length and formality. If I'm working, it's usually tucked. If I'm off the clock, untucked unless the shirt demands otherwise (and generally I won't be wearing it in that case). I'm tall thin and lanky though, so it's pretty much impossible for me to pull of a tucked shirt casually.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All on length, it only matters what vision you wish to create. I only leave shirtjacs untucked, I tuck in other shirts. If you prefer to let them untucked make sure to hem them shorter. There are no rules!

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
How about something much more simple: is the shirt long enough that it needs to be tucked in or short enough so that it shouldn't?

That's my criteria.

Agreed, but sometimes I run into the "in between length". Then what? What length says it should be tucked in as opposed to either or? The short enough part is easy if for me in the sense that if I don't think it will stay tucked in, then it won't be that way to start with.

I can understand the "I can't get used to the untucked look" comment. There are days when I wonder when untucked looks good versus too stodgey.

Edit: I find it easier to leave a non-button down shirt untucked, than a button down.

tokyodandy

Reaction score
How about something much more simple: is the shirt long enough that it needs to be tucked in or short enough so that it shouldn't?
In my case when I had the shirts made up I specified a shorter hem so that I could wear them untucked if I felt that way. Both will stay tucked, although for the next set of shirts I might have them made an inch longer.

TD

tatet

Reaction score
I'll only tuck in if the shirt is really slim, because the last anyone wants is a muffin top with tight jeans

herzzreh

Reaction score

That's my criteria.

Yeah, but what is "long enough"?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to be very uncomfortable with tucked shirts, mostly because I felt my proportions are weird (freakishly long legs), but the last couple of months ive started tucking some shirts, chambray westerns, flannel bds, ocbds, especially when I wear something over. As I further embrace Dad´s style, I feel it just looks cleaner and neater.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads