• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tucking in dress shirts

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been getting my dress shirts since out of highschool, and it has helped tremendously when tucking in the shirt to minimize the amount of over hang around the waist. I hate when dress shirts are not tucked in prim and proper, and have no clue what to do.

i want it to loook like this all the time, excuse the picture, i just googled 'dress shirt'

dress.jpg

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The billowing/untucked effect is common with shirts that have way too much fabric. If you get a slim/fitted enough shirt, you won't have this problem.

Neo1824

Reaction score
To get close to this I have to have almost all of my shirts tailored. I feel it is worth the $15 or so because I also hate the billowing effect around the waist.

finch

Reaction score
Exactly, my body would fit fine into a 15-15.5 shirt, I have a large Adams Apple which usually require me to purchase a 16 collar, in return I end up with added fabric in the body. A competent tailor can take in a dress shirt for you.
Originally Posted by Neo1824
To get close to this I have to have almost all of my shirts tailored. I feel it is worth the $15 or so because I also hate the billowing effect around the waist.

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
Yeah I get modern or slim fit shirts and the problem is minimized.

Too many guys out there are victims of "too much shirt"

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't realize until a few years ago that my dress shirts were too full, much too full. When I switched to slim-fit shirts the problem went away.

finch

Reaction score
Good point!
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
you realize, that any fullness is hiding behind his back. they mayhave even pinned the shirt in place!

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Darts my friend, darts.
wink.gif

Jon.

darts?

i have had all my shirts tailored at 15 a shirt, and the lady is solid, but there is still excess that folds over.

and explain these darts :p

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No real-life shirt will ever fit like the one in the photo--at least, not from multiple angles and for more than ten seconds. As you move around during the day, a tight shirt will pull and bunch in unflattering way. This will be particularly true near your waist, where a tight shirt will tend to bunch up and over your pants. I've found that the best way to look trim isn't to go as tight as possible, but to get a shirt properly shaped to your body that will drape suggestively.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to getting the slim fitting shirts and tucking it in properly, the key is not to move. And especially don't raise your arms, and you will look the model.

But seriously, does anyone think having the rubber-type material in the inside waist band of the pant helps minimize the amount of shirt that is pulled out and bunches throughout the day? I've found, in the one or two pairs of pants that have this, that the friction works well enough in keeping the shirt tucked into place.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The key is extra length in the body, and buttons down to your balls.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
In addition to getting the slim fitting shirts and tucking it in properly, the key is not to move. And especially don't raise your arms, and you will look the model.

But seriously, does anyone think having the rubber-type material in the inside waist band of the pant helps minimize the amount of shirt that is pulled out and bunches throughout the day? I've found, in the one or two pairs of pants that have this, that the friction works well enough in keeping the shirt tucked into place.

I don't have rubber strips like that in any of my pants and my Matuozzo shirts seem to stay in place just fine. I think having a properly fitting shirt makes a huge difference--and one that's not too tight.

Originally Posted by Dewey
The key is extra length in the body, and buttons down to your balls.

I think this is true if the shirt otherwise doesn't fit. My Brooks Brothers OCBDs, for example, need the extra length to stay put. I was used to this notion, so I was concerned when Anna cut my shirts much shorter than I'm used to. Magically, they work.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of you bespoke shirt customers get the "under the crotch button"?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads