1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ttile for Manton's book!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fashionslave, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Fashionslave

Fashionslave Senior member

Hi Manton-I saw your thread on the Londonlounge and couldn't reply,but ,how's this for a suggestion for your book title? "Dandyism-The Art of Dressing Well" Whaddaya think?? [​IMG]

2. RJman

RJman Senior member

I prefer "Style and the Manton".

3. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

So these two do not qualify.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Best I can come up with in two seconds are "Swell" and "Clotheshorse", the former being a better term, but hardly in the vernacular.

5. whnay.

whnay. Senior member

refined. the art of dressing well.

6. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Better Refined (IMO) "The Art of Dressing" Or for those corny fellah, (Faustian Bargain I mean you) How about "Clothes Make the Man-ton" Ugh... [​IMG] JJF

7. Demeter

Demeter Senior member

If Dandy isn't a suitable name then maybe something along those same lines of meaning is what manton needs, albeit not as uhm... dated. Same goes for words like 'jaunty' and 'dapper.' I speak from a 20-year-old's perspective, and I can picture myself feeing a little metro when I bring it up to the cash at Chapters and have the cute girl with the auburn hair ring it through for me. So why not a word that conveys the same image or feeling but sounds a little more marketable? Clotheshorse conveys 'packrat,' to me. Debonair? Suave? Refined? Debonair: Timeless Style For the Modern Man

8. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

Sartorial Correctness - Dressing Etiquette for the modern gentleman.

9. Lindsay

Lindsay Senior member

I like "Dandy"

10. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

This is by far the best title I've seen so far. Unfortunately, it doesn't foreshadow the Prince-like character of the prose. Maybe you should just call it: "The Prince of Style".

11. LA Guy

(meaculpa @ June 20 2005,13:47) Debonair: Timeless Style For the Modern Man
    This is by far the best title I've seen so far. Unfortunately, it doesn't foreshadow the Prince-like character of the prose. Maybe you should just call it: "The Prince of Style".
    How about "The style of Prince?" I would buy TWO copies if Manton would include a chapter "Pompadours: Are they Trad?". Also, it would be great if the book came with a compilation CD with a montage of sartorial greats scored with "Little Red Corvette" and of course "Purple Rain".

12. modsquad

modsquad Senior member

I'm going to blow the spelling of this one even allowing for the transliteration, but when I was in high school and doing myself up to go someplace really important (say, a Roxy Music concert) my father would eyeball me, shake his head and say, "a shtutzeh," Yiddish for a sport. Doing oneself up he referred to as fapitzing.

13. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Perhaps one could just name it after a Roxy Music album, say "For Your Pleasure."

14. LA Guy

Sounds too much like an ad for Trojan.

15. RJman

RJman Senior member

Ha haha. How about "In Every Dreamhome a Heartache"...

What is it with working-class 80s rockers from Newcastle and inflatable dolls? Both Bryan Ferry and Sting wrote songs about them.

16. ptolbert

ptolbert Member

From Crown to Toe, the Proper Elegance of Dress

17. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Styling To Perfection By Menton.

18. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Having an abstract would help.

Are we positive the gentleman needs help?

19. Manton

Manton Senior member

I did post a request for suggestions on another forum, some months ago. As I said at the time, an important aspect of my book is that is a parody of another work. This, for reasons of literary parallel, the only two titles I could imagine choosing are "The Dandy" (the original title) and "Art of Dress." The publisher had some misgivings about the former. So do I, in my more fretful moments. However, the publisher appears to have come around. And, to be honest, I just never warmed up to anything but my original.

20. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

As I remarked in my comments over on the other forum, I think The Dandy is by far the better title for the reasons I stated then. My primary reason--for the majority of you who are not participants in Dandyism.net--is that at most bookstores the few books on menswear are scattered amidst a sea of books on clothing and grooming for women. At least when a gentleman sees "The Dandy" on the spine of the book, he will know that it is a book about menswear. "The Art of Dress" could well be just another of the many books targeted toward women.