• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trying to Understand the Talk About "New SF" and "New SF B&S"

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious... hear a lot of mention about how this is the new SF and it isn't like the old SF or SF B&S. I guess I'm too new to have seen what it was like a couple years ago.

So for you long time members, maybe a little nostalgia, what did this forum used to be like?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
this

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ with bewbs.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been here for almost 10 years and there's still loads of BS on SF so I don't get all of the bellyaching either :confused:

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I've been here for almost 10 years and there's still loads of BS on SF so I don't get all of the bellyaching either :confused:

Yeah, but it was a better, more erudite, more elegant, snarkier BS. Back then it was Ancient Greece (yes, even the buttsechs), whereas now it's more Roman Empire under Gaius Marius.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could be that posts/threads weren't disappearing into thin air/people had thicker skin. Nowadays it's like walking on eggshells around this muf.....

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
okay, hang on here. What posts are disappearing? I don't see any disappearing posts. :roma:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hint: You will see a few posts quoted by others but won't see the OP quoted. Gone, like muvaflocking Whodini

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hint: You will see a few posts quoted by others but won't see the OP quoted. Gone, like muvaflocking Whodini

Actually Whodini's still around, though not as much. I think that he is a doctor or something now, and honestly, it's hard to post on a forum when you are a junior doc running around like a madman cleaning up people's (literal) ****.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An MC heavy perspective:

Earlier on, there were many members who migrated to this site from other sites or just found it searching for answers to questions & general info re clothing. There were long, lively, informative discussions regarding clothing, rules of dress, different styles, etc. with the intended purpose of elevating one's own style sense and in turn, helping others to do the same. The amount of knowledge shared was only rivaled by the amount of people willing to learn a thing or three. Knowledge about things that seem elementary to most long-time members now. Knowledge re who-makes-what-for-whom, etc., and to be honest, many of us would never have given a second thought to that pair of Brooks Brothers or Lands' end shoes, or, inconspicuously pinched a coat in search of canvas, had it not been for the knowledge that they were made in England by C&J or AS, or Isaia, etc., thanks to the forum. The same extended for some to bespoken articles, many by "mystery bootmakers" or, "mystery tailors".

There were countless PSAs (Public Service Announcements) regarding sales and such shared with the fora at no cost and with no intent to capitalize. A brotherhood. Many of us bought countless pairs of shoes, etc. just so we could post pics and exclaim, Kopped! :slayer: on teh forum. We wore our purchases with pride knowing that these, yes, these, are forum approved and in many instances could identify a fellow member IRL based on the same.

When someone bought something that didn't fit, or work for them, they offered it up on the B&S boards at cost or at a loss. There was no, "add x% for paypal fees" or "do you accept refunds?" for if you bought something off of B&S that didn't work for you, you knew you could just put a line in your sig and someone else would snap it up. If you search my original SN for some of the first threads I started here, they were on B&S and I have even bumped my threads posting no more than, "bump". It was that good.

Then we reached a saturation point. There was little else those same members [thought they] needed to know about clothing. We became experts. Thus, we turned to snark. Looking down our noses at latecomers, newer members seeking the same thing we'd experienced not too long ago. We forced our own opinions down newbs throats in such a dogmatic way, it seemed only logical to comply. Or we flamed out and got banned.

PSAs became a vehicle for monetary gain; the forum descended on B&M establishments with such a fury that no longer does EG do mail order with their semi-annual sales. No longer does RL @Woodbury take phone orders, et. al. And, to top it all off, members were taking their hauls and listing them on B&S at a markup. Not a, "I need to recoup gas & tolls", markup. Exorbitant markups. Straight price gouging.

Brother turned against brother and a divide was inevitable. It may not be immediately apparent now but this is largely the tone. Such is life.

There are still those of us who try to champion the virtues [we feel] the site stands for and will do so no matter how many times we are timed out or banned. Self inclusive. This is love. This is life.

Bris.

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with Nore...

Nostalgia and selective memory are great life lenses but SF has lost its aura..

People had more gravitas and decorum even if vicious exchanges were legion...

It was more a country club than high school..

I came and I did learn a lot from Rjamn, Manton ,Foo , Dopey, Kuro ,Iammatt, RSS and many others..

They introduced me to Rubinacci ,Charvet, Delos , Huntsman and all these great clothing legends..

People were more patient and also tolerant and more snark was used than bullying..

Now we have threads patronizing or humiliating people without the old SF gentlemanship kicking in at one point..

It might be a demographic change with a new generation bringing new inner rules..

I do not know..

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is some depressing ****. geez.

i have definitely seen a change in the few years i have been here, but nothing like what nore describes. part of me is sad that i missed it, part of me is glad i dont have to be so upset about the change.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

(...)
When someone bought something that didn't fit, or work for them, they offered it up on the B&S boards at cost or at a loss. There was no, "add x% for paypal fees" or "do you accept refunds?" for if you bought something off of B&S that didn't work for you, you knew you could just put a line in your sig and someone else would snap it up. If you search my original SN for some of the first threads I started here, they were on B&S and I have even bumped my threads posting no more than, "bump". It was that good.
Then we reached a saturation point. There was little else those same members [thought they] needed to know about clothing. We became experts. Thus, we turned to snark. Looking down our noses at latecomers, newer members seeking the same thing we'd experienced not too long ago. We forced our own opinions down newbs throats in such a dogmatic way, it seemed only logical to comply. Or we flamed out and got banned.
PSAs became a vehicle for monetary gain; the forum descended on B&M establishments with such a fury that no longer does EG do mail order with their semi-annual sales. No longer does RL @Woodbury take phone orders, et. al. And, to top it all off, members were taking their hauls and listing them on B&S at a markup. Not a, "I need to recoup gas & tolls", markup. Exorbitant markups. Straight price gouging.
Brother turned against brother and a divide was inevitable. It may not be immediately apparent now but this is largely the tone. Such is life.
(...).

I agree with Nore...
Nostalgia and selective memory are great life lenses but SF has lost its aura..
People had more gravitas and decorum even if vicious exchanges were legion...
It was more a country club than high school..
I came and I did learn a lot from Rjamn, Manton ,Foo , Dopey, Kuro ,Iammatt, RSS and many others..
They introduced me to Rubinacci ,Charvet, Delos , Huntsman and all these great clothing legends..
People were more patient and also tolerant and more snark was used than bullying..
Now we have threads patronizing or humiliating people without the old SF gentlemanship kicking in at one point..
It might be a demographic change with a new generation bringing new inner rules..
I do not know..

Guys, I may be wrong here, but this is how it goes when the population of a group increases. You go from those who do from love, then you attract those who seek a profit, then you get those who wander in wondering why is everyone's suits so snug? Where things really go sideways is when newbs come in proud of their Brandini wool-poly blend zoot suit and then get all huffy when they get the abuse they asked for. At least Mt. Spiffy was a good sport about it, but for every Mt. Spiffy and PTWilliams there are like 30 Blueoakleyz and Mocazens - ITG's of the worst sort.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just curious... hear a lot of mention about how this is the new SF and it isn't like the old SF or SF B&S.  I guess I'm too new to have seen what it was like a couple years ago.

So for you long time members, maybe a little nostalgia, what did this forum used to be like?

This makes me feel old.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Guys, I may be wrong here, but this is how it goes when the population of a group increases. You go from those who do from love, then you attract those who seek a profit, then you get those who wander in wondering why is everyone's suits so snug? Where things really go sideways is when newbs come in proud of their Brandini wool-poly blend zoot suit and then get all huffy when they get the abuse they asked for. At least Mt. Spiffy was a good sport about it, but for every Mt. Spiffy and PTWilliams there are like 30 Blueoakleyz and Mocazens - ITG's of the worst sort.

this. WAYWRN is painful to read.

honestly, i would rather read a million snarky cape related posts, than have to look at all the horribly lit, ill fitted, terribly matched **** that gets posted daily.

NOT because they are bad. most people start bad. rather, because people are SO defensive about their crap. my first bunch of fit pics were miserable. hell, in one i wore a SC with a ben sherman shirt, no tie and with a fully visible crew neck t shirt. my jacket sleeves were in my palms in another, and my pants cuffs pooled around my shoes like layer cake. not to mention bit ferragamo loafers with a 6 on 2 DB suit. but instead of defending my self, i took the earnest advise, and i changed the issues.

the standard MO now seems to be to defend yourself to the bitter end, instead of learning a thing or two. on top of that, there are a bazillion newbs, half of whom are snarky without cause, and the other half who obliviously just compliment whatever gets posted.

i dont know which came forst, the chicken or the egg. but i think part of the issue, is there is such a dearth of quality, top notch posters posting their fits. i imagine if they would step up again, people would have a comparison to see what good dress actually looks like, and might be more willing to accept that they need to make adjustments. then again, i have heard that the well meant critiques feel on deaf ears, and thats why so many of the quality posters stopped posting.

either way, it ******* sucks.

lol, it been a while sine we had one of these threads. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads