• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

trying to grow up in style

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
so i'm 24 years old and wanting to grow up in my style a bit. I'm used to wearing t-shirt jeans and pf flyers or converse. I want to work dress shoes into my wardrobe but don't know where or when that is appropriate.
What would you wear when going it with your girlfriend or wife in a non-formal situation (like going shopping, going out for dinner, etc...) where you still want to look your best? Please include colors for example: this kind of shirt of this color, these kind of pants of that color, these shoes in this color....

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
include colors for example: this kind of shirt of this color, these kind of pants of that color, these shoes in this color....

:thumbs-up:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Check out "What Are You Wearing Today?" in the Men's Clothing thread. Lurk and learn.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trousers (wool or cotton), a button up shirt (white, light blue, pink), and leather shoes would be appropriate for casual wear. A jacket or sweater would be appropriate if it were cold.

Upward

Reaction score
so i'm 24 years old and wanting to grow up in my style a bit. I'm used to wearing t-shirt jeans and pf flyers or converse. I want to work dress shoes into my wardrobe but don't know where or when that is appropriate.
What would you wear when going it with your girlfriend or wife in a non-formal situation (like going shopping, going out for dinner, etc...) where you still want to look your best? Please include colors for example: this kind of shirt of this color, these kind of pants of that color, these shoes in this color....
I would start with a nice pair of dress shoes you can wear with your jeans and a nice shirt, and that would also work with a suit.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
I would start with a nice pair of dress shoes you can wear with your jeans and a nice shirt, and that would also work with a suit.

I bought a pair of AE's in walnut. I also have a pair of black eccos from a year or so ago that aren't in bad shape but now that i've seen the light I see the quality difference and I'm wondering if my next pair of shoes should be a replacement for the black eccos, or a dark brown or burgundy. My AE's are a walnut cap toe. If you had to recommend one shoe for my next purchase (under $500) which shoe would you recommend?

Upward

Reaction score
I bought a pair of AE's in walnut. I also have a pair of black eccos from a year or so ago that aren't in bad shape but now that i've seen the light I see the quality difference and I'm wondering if my next pair of shoes should be a replacement for the black eccos, or a dark brown or burgundy. My AE's are a walnut cap toe. If you had to recommend one shoe for my next purchase (under $500) which shoe would you recommend?
Do you wear the black shoes often enough that you need two pairs? Black tie events, religious events, ect? If not, then I would buy in merlot or burgundy. You can upgrade your black captoes when the time comes.

I think these shoes would look good with jeans or a suit.

Upward

Reaction score
Nordstrom has many AE shoes on sale for $229. You could buy two pairs with $500. AE stores will pricematch Nordstrom.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Do you wear the black shoes often enough that you need two pairs? Black tie events, religious events, ect? If not, then I would buy in merlot or burgundy. You can upgrade your black captoes when the time comes.

I think these shoes would look good with jeans or a suit.

I was thinking about these or the strand in brown. How do these fit? I find some wingtips to be bulky which I do not like. I have a skinny foot, so which wingtips have the narrowest fit?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's on the five last, which is long and narrow.

I don't know that I would go so far as to say that works well with jeans, but it certainly does spread a wide range of formalities.

Bentley

Reaction score
I don't care for dress shoes with jeans. I think a pair of Alden dress boots would probably look better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads