Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

trying to grow up in style

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by chinngiskhaan, Jul 11, 2013.

1. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

so i'm 24 years old and wanting to grow up in my style a bit. I'm used to wearing t-shirt jeans and pf flyers or converse. I want to work dress shoes into my wardrobe but don't know where or when that is appropriate.
    What would you wear when going it with your girlfriend or wife in a non-formal situation (like going shopping, going out for dinner, etc...) where you still want to look your best? Please include colors for example: this kind of shirt of this color, these kind of pants of that color, these shoes in this color....

2. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

:thumbs-up:

3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Check out "What Are You Wearing Today?" in the Men's Clothing thread. Lurk and learn.

4. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Trousers (wool or cotton), a button up shirt (white, light blue, pink), and leather shoes would be appropriate for casual wear. A jacket or sweater would be appropriate if it were cold.

5. Upward

Upward Senior member

I would start with a nice pair of dress shoes you can wear with your jeans and a nice shirt, and that would also work with a suit.

6. chinngiskhaan

I bought a pair of AE's in walnut. I also have a pair of black eccos from a year or so ago that aren't in bad shape but now that i've seen the light I see the quality difference and I'm wondering if my next pair of shoes should be a replacement for the black eccos, or a dark brown or burgundy. My AE's are a walnut cap toe. If you had to recommend one shoe for my next purchase (under $500) which shoe would you recommend?

7. Upward

Upward Senior member

Do you wear the black shoes often enough that you need two pairs? Black tie events, religious events, ect? If not, then I would buy in merlot or burgundy. You can upgrade your black captoes when the time comes.

I think these shoes would look good with jeans or a suit.
    [​IMG]

8. Upward

Upward Senior member

Nordstrom has many AE shoes on sale for $229. You could buy two pairs with $500. AE stores will pricematch Nordstrom.

9. chinngiskhaan

I was thinking about these or the strand in brown. How do these fit? I find some wingtips to be bulky which I do not like. I have a skinny foot, so which wingtips have the narrowest fit?

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

That's on the five last, which is long and narrow.

I don't know that I would go so far as to say that works well with jeans, but it certainly does spread a wide range of formalities.

11. Bentley

Bentley Senior member

I don't care for dress shoes with jeans. I think a pair of Alden dress boots would probably look better.

[​IMG]

12. chinngiskhaan

hmmmm... the picture definitely sells the idea. I will definitely consider dress boots.