• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trying to find out if suits are worth selling

Craiger

Reaction score
Hi all,

A friend of mine passed away suddenly a few weeks ago, and I'm trying to help his family with his estate.

I've bought and sold pre-owned suits myself in the past, but those were all known brands. My late friend's suits are M2M but there's no brand label inside as far as I can see, but supposedly they're Valentino.

I remember he told me that they were made in Hong Kong by a cutter who was licensed to use Valentino patterns and techniques. I'm not sure how to verify that, and what it means to the value.

I've inspected the suits (14) and the fabrics are nice and they seem to be well made.

I haven't measured the sizes yet, but he was about 6' 1" and normally proportioned.

At this point I'm just trying to find out if they're worth the trouble of listing.

Thanks!

Craig

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is difficult to look at quality without so much as a photograph of one but there seem to be sufficient fools about wishing to buy second hand clothes as you have obviously found. This "Hong Kong by a cutter who was licensed to use Valentino patterns:" is just a damnable lie but if you do sell them don't mention it. The touts around Star Ferry Kowloonside (TST) will tell the gullible anything that comes into their minds. They are paid on commission and if they don't shout 'Copy Watch' at passers-by, they will be touting crap suits. They are very thick skinned - they seem to simply soak up the dog's abuse I always afford them. That said HK Police do not take kindly to those who assault passers-by especially the English; There is considerable respect for the English even amongst those who had not even been born at the time of 'Handover' in 1997.

Is there no label inside one of the in-breast pockets? It would be unusual for there not to be, If there isn't such a thing that tells you something as well - crap. All the decent tailors in Hong Kong, AMHC, Yao, Chan and Grand Tailor will invariably sew one in there with their own name and that of their client and the date when it was commissioned. Some of the trim will also bear the tailors name or logo.

If none of these apply, the suits are probably the crap sold to tourists: That has considerable merit as in gives Hongkongers jobs. Burn them or take your chance with a couple first to test the market.

Test the market with a couple, you may find a fool, if the test batch do not sell or sell for pitiful money, just burn the rest.

Craiger

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, but I'm not looking for a fool. I would never try to rip someone off. Every time I sold clothing I offered a 100% money-back guarantee if not satisfied for any reason, no questions asked.

My friend was a very successful executive who spent a lot of time in Hong Kong, and he knew good clothing. I'm going to do a closer inspection of the suits. Thanks for the tip about the label, I didn't search in the pockets. I should have thought of that.

If I thought my tailor could work his magic, I would keep some of the suits for myself.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A fool's money is just as good as that of anyone else.

Astaroth

Reaction score
There is not a great deal of difference between patterns of suits and no one does anything totally unique. You can go to any bespoke tailor and describe a Tom Ford style suit and they'll make one.

They certainly havent licensed the "patterns" from Valentino as that would simply be stupid from all sides. If they had a license it'd be to use the brand in which case there would be a Valentino label prominently in there as why else pay the vast sums for the license?

Best you could do is that they are "Valentino inspired" or some such term which some may buy into and others will realise means nothing.

Craiger

Reaction score

There is not a great deal of difference between patterns of suits and no one does anything totally unique. You can go to any bespoke tailor and describe a Tom Ford style suit and they'll make one.

They certainly havent licensed the "patterns" from Valentino as that would simply be stupid from all sides. If they had a license it'd be to use the brand in which case there would be a Valentino label prominently in there as why else pay the vast sums for the license?

Best you could do is that they are "Valentino inspired" or some such term which some may buy into and others will realise means nothing.

Thank you. This makes sense, at least to me.

I really appreciate the feedback. I'm still learning about this stuff.

Last edited:

chippneckwear

Reaction score
If you try listing them and meet with no success, donate them to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. They will give you a receipt and usually are willing to value them at a price you suggest. The estate can then take a tax deduction.

Paul Winston
Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Graceoko