• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trying to find a suit that fits an athletic frame

jtmoney

Reaction score
I have hard time finding suits that fit since I work out. I been trying to find off the rack suits that fit well and look stylish at the same time (side vents, flat front pants, etc...). I'm 5"11', weigh 205 lbs, have 45-46 chest and 34 inch waist. I purchased two Hickey Freeman made to measure suits from Nordstroms and am quite happy with them, but I don't want to spend that kind of money again if I don't have to. The only off the rack suits that I own that fit me are Boss by Hugo Boss. I was told that Burberry suits would fit...haven't tried them yet. I just want to find a suit that doesn't make me look like a used car salesman.

GQ had an article last month about suits for different body types. They advised that athletic types should try suits made by D & G, Prada and Theory, TOTAL BS, couldn't even get my arm through the sleaves....... Any thoughts?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might look at Corneliani. The quality is excellent and the fit more athletic than standard HF. Others here will no doubt have more suggestions.

Cassidy

Reaction score
While not as large as you, I've found that Hugo Boss and Burberry fit me similarly.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canali drop 8 models are a good choice, though still not nearing a 10/11" drop, they will be easily altered to fit. You can tell the model number by the last digit of the model ID. Certain Isaia models also fit me well (though I can't remember the model name at the moment). You can't expect an amazing suit if you look at fashion brands.

lifersfc

Reaction score
I have pretty big lats and thick delts so I have a lot of trouble finding suits, especially considering my 10-inc drop (real-life proportions, not internet-proportions).

I size down in Corneliani and get the sides taken in. Seems to work pretty well, but my delts disturb the drape of the sleeve a little bit.

My best fitting jacket is probably the Polo Congressman model, but it may be a little fashion forward or difficult to locate.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
Canali drop 8 models are a good choice, though still not nearing a 10/11" drop, they will be easily altered to fit. You can tell the model number by the last digit of the model ID.

I second the Canali. RTW, this is the best there is for an athletic fit that I have found.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that Canali fits pretty generously across the chest and shoulders, unfortunately there is little waist suppresion on the jacket ....... I am in a pretty similar build , I find Isaia fits me the best. Look for Isaia base S model ( or Scott, Stewart for the older collections), they all fit pretty generous across shoulder and chest and have generous armholes. Corneliani has too much shoulder padding for me, especially if you have big shoulders.

s4usea

Reaction score
I've an athletic frame too (44" chest, 32" waist) and until I started to get all my stuff MTM or bespoke the only OTR stuff that would fit me was from Brooks Brothers.

Even so, I still had to have them tailored to get the waist properly suppressed along with the normal sleeve and trouser length.

promark809

Reaction score
I've had the same problem too for the longest time. I'm 5' 9" with a 38" chest and a 32" waist. Even with only a 6" drop, I've had the toughest time finding a suit that is tailored to my body type at Men's Wearhouse and various department stores. I heard Zara had some fashion forward suits so I checked them out. Honestly, the suit jackets there were either too tight around the chest or too loose around the stomach/torso. So even there I was pretty disappointed. So far, I haven't been able to find a suit company that sells OTR suits that fit the athletic body type.

What has worked for me so far was shopping from an online MTM suit company called Indochino. They sell suits at fairly affordable prices ($350-$500) and at pretty good quality. You may want to check them out!

-Andrew

malat

Reaction score
At 5'9 180lbs and a 32" waist, I'm not as big as you, but I have the same issues.

After a little expert tailoring to get it just right, I've discovered that the E. Zegna Roma cut is perfect for athletic types. The armholes of the Milano cut are too high and too narrow for my shoulders and arms, but the Roma fits quite comfortably. I even wore one for my own wedding. I've also had decent luck with Huge Boss Selection and Z Zegna. Anything I've tried from Brooks Brothers looks laughable.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lets hope after four years he figured out something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads