1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to figure out a good investment vehicle for college savings account

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by yjeezle, Mar 28, 2012.

1. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

I'm looking for an investment vehicle for my mentor who's done a lot for me for my career so far. I figure the best thing I can do is try to pay him back at least a little bit by setting up some sort of college fund for his kids (they'll be in college about 7 - 10 years from now).

I'm not looking to pay for all of their college tuition or anything like that, but I'd like to be able to have some cash appreciate a little bit and hopefully be able to give it back.

The thing is I don't want him to know about it and I want to kinda just hand it over to him later on (either when I leave my company or when the fund matures, whichever is sooner). I'm also planning on just dumping an initial amount into the (less than a grand) account and just let it accrue interest until the time is right.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

2. stevent

stevent Senior member

Most of the big companies like Schwab and Fidelity should have a basic option that works pretty well

3. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

as stevent said, ask the guys there about 529k or cesa accounts